Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Amd Cpu

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    So : To recap -

we seem to think that the system you have now is fine ........
    and that instead of upgrading, you should seriously consider a SECOND system [thereby beginning your progress into the mysterys of networking - with all the props from yer mates for THAT ]

and, if you act fast, you SHOULD just catch Santa with your letter IF you've been a good little boy / girl {delete as appropriate}
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Guys, I appreciate all your help, but I still don't know if I should keep my (Radeon X800XL PCIEXPRESS) or return it to get a better one. I am still confused to purchase the AMD 64 4000 or the AMD X2 3800. About the RAM, that part I do understand also about no to go cheap on a power suppply. And get a got case for ventalation. No one stated anything about the sound card. Should I invest another $100 for one? Thanks................

Nick

I think I am going to buy the ASUS A8N32-SLI as my mobo, and the Corsair's CMX1024-3500LLPro memory. What do you think?

forget the Corsair's CMX1024-3500LLPro memory, its too $$$. Its $300 for RAM. WOW. Any advices?

I think I am going to do is return the X800XL to purchase the X850XT, what do you recommend?

I think I made my final conclusion. I am going to purcahse the GeoForce GT 7800. Now, I need to purchase as CPU and a mobo

If you are concerned about money, I am not sure why you would chose a SLI motherboard...you gonna be running two ATI 800 XTs ? If not, its really not worth it...

I would recommend this one instead (since you seemed to be concerned about cost):
    http://usa.asus.com/products4.aspx?l...55&modelmenu=1

The motherboard has all the features of the one you mentioned, but its cheaper and supports single or dual core AMD processors (minus the SLI graphics card, which I would argue that if you are worried about $300 dollar RAM, you'll die filling out a SLI system)...

Also there are several different varieties of Corsair memory that are in the PC3200 range. The LL in the product # you mentioned is for low latency RAM, which will always cost more.

From corsair's site: (2-3-2-6-1T is the timing, lower is better)
    http://www.corsairmemory.com/corsair/xms.html#twinx

CMX1024-3500LLPRO XMS3500 1024MB 2-3-2-6-1T 184 DIMM Black XMS ProSeries
    CMX1024-3200PRO XMS3200 1024MB 3-3-3-8-1T 184 DIMM Black XMS ProSeries
    TWINX1024-3200C2 XMS3200 1024MB 2-3-3-6-1T 2x184 DIMM Black
    TWINX1024-3200C2PT XMS3200 1024MB 2-3-3-6-1T 2x184 DIMM Platinum
    TWINX1024-3200 XMS3200 1024MB 3-3-3-8-1T 2x184 DIMM Black
    TWINX1024-3200PT XMS3200 1024MB 3-3-3-8-1T 2x184 DIMM Platinum
    TWINX1024-3200XL XMS3200 1024MB 2-2-2-5-1T 2x184 DIMM Black
    I recommend the TWINX because the DIMMS are already matched for pairing in a DDR config, which can be helpful for system stability (or so I've read). As you can see, quite a few models there all with different timing, the slower the timing the cheaper the price. If you are concerned about price, look at the TWINX1024-3200PT (PT I think just references that it is platinum colored)...a quick check at new egg reveals 127.00, not including any deals or rebates...quite a difference eh ? Granted, like all decesions when building your own PC, you are trading performance for cost...
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

Hey, mavro6000 I am glad that you have finally "come out" and admitted you want a top end gaming machine.

As already stated, forget about upgrading your existing kit, it was built for a different purpose.

As I mentioned earlier, either you looking for bragging rights or a machine for a very specific purpose. I mentioned CAD, CAM, and graphics editing, but completely forgot about high end, online, multi character gaming

Yes, you have a use for the kit, but at this stage in the market you need to ask yourself what games do you want to play? Some have different requirements from others.

If you want more specific advice than you will get here, I would suggest you join the various games websites and ask the questions there, or at least read the discussions.

To build a box that will do everything will probably cost you around $4,000.

For FPS you will need 1Mb of fast RAM and a bloody good video card. The processor is generally not that influential, it just needs to be adequate.

With complex strategy/SIM type games, there is a lot of processing as opposed to visuals, so more memory and a faster processor probably work "better"

I am not a builder of games boxes but I have done plenty of CAD/Photoediting ones and I believe that the principles are pretty similar.

I do not (personally) see the need for a machine to handle everything. You can only learn to be competent at a relatively small number of games (or CAD apps ) so you should be able to be a bit more selective and greatly reduce your spend.

Good luck

I want a gaming CPU but for a good $$$. I was recommend to buy the ASUS A8N-E for mobo, I just need to more certain about the cpu. AMD X2 3800, or the AMD 64 4000. I return my Radeon X800XL for a Geoforce 7800 GT, was that a smart move?

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    custompc mag

try here and go to the archives

then read till your eyes bleed
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone