Problem with wmv

Thread: Problem with wmv

Problem with wmv video

Hi everyone, I have a little problem a friend just give me video cd, that it was supossed to work. I can't see anything, but sound is ok. I have last codecs and everything and I am pretty sure the cd is ok. Can someone help me?

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    3rd Rock from Sun
    what are the specs for your system ?

have you been able to view video previously ?
    have you tried another CD ?
    have you tried to view ANY other media ?

we might be good, but we ain't mind readers
    55 - I'm fiftyfeckinfive and STILL no wiser,
    OLDER yes
    Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Just Another Geek
    Rotterdam, Netherlands
    What's the problem? Do you have a problem with wmv or with video-cds or both?

You cannot see anything? The player's screen stays black? Sounds like you have a problem with overlays.. Check the display-driver settings.. Maybe it's outputting to a tv-out?
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

AO Senior Cow-beller
    Mountain standard tribe.
    Imma take a stab in the dark here.

Do you have Divx or Xvid codecs installed? They don't come by default with WinMediaPlayer (last time I checked), and when you try to view a Divx compressed (encoded?) video, you get sound but no picture.
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

I think zencoder is on the right track here.

You say you have the latest codecs... but which ones?

Did your friend encode the VCD or is it a bought one? If your friend encoded it then you can just ask him what codec/software he used and together you should be able to sort it.
    If it was bought then sometimes there is a player on the CD itself. In any case I would definatly recommend installing DivX/Xvid.

Hope this helps!

\"Clouds are not spheres, mountains are not cones, coastlines are not circles, and bark is not smooth,
    nor does lightning travel in a straight line.\" -Benoit Mandelbrot