Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ideas for stopping spam attacks

Ideas for stopping spam attacks

Ok we all know whats going on and by who, we also know how difficult it is to stop as even if we put restrictions at a member level he can just create a new account and start again.

So here is a few suggestions...am not sure of the set up for this board so some may already be in place - if they are, great! Now lets get the rest in place as well

1. Unique Email address for every sign up (so he has to regsiter for a new email addrress as well as here)
    2. Email verification of address
    3. only 1 sign up from any given IP every 24hrs
    4. Cookie placed to block any new registrations from machine for 24hrs
    5. New thread limit of 4 per hr per member / IP
    6. If a thread is bumped which is over 2 months old a 'send back' button which senior members can use to _unbump_ the thread
    7. Increase flood protection time to 3mins
    8. Maximum of 10 posts per hr from any member / IP
    9. Add image verification to signup screen
    10. No more than 3 logins (to different accounts) from any ip in 24hrs
    11. Better swear word filters in username

Ok these are easy to implement features that wouldn't restict normal users too much - infact most people wont notice they are there.

Also I suggest some sort of 'smart' member managment.

For example :

each action performed which is normal for an attack such as this throws up a flag and adds to a total for that member.

so say a member bumps 2 threads over 2months old within 30mins - they score 1 point

they have a post rejected due to the flood protection 6 times in half an hr - another point

they create the maximum allowed number of new threads 2hrs running - 3rd point

and so on

then we could compare the number of points scored alongside ap status and length of membership. If the result is less than a certain cut off point - a notification is sent to an admin to review the users actions, and they are suspended until outcome is decided. Admin can then ban or remove suspension.

Oh and last idea :

as well as the report button link / negative aps - there should be a report member button. This could work similar to APs but with a lower cut off point.

Rather than banning member if they hit the limit of reports in any 24hr period they would have posting/ap rights removed and their account could be flagged for review by an admin.

Just some ideas - any chance of getting at least some of these implemented. There is nothing really difficult to code up in them...

what does everyone else think?

Hi Val,

Cool suggestions, mate.
    Instead of diong all this, why don't we cut off the number of negative APs required to ban a member, I think it is now like more than 100 Negatives, why we don't make them like 50 Negatives, in this way, we can, only three or four seniors, can ban the troll and trouble maker!

Scenario:

1- the spech posts sapm or unfriendly content.
    2- senior members notice that. Go for neg!
    3- four or five assignment {Sinero members} can ban him easly.
    4- Waiting for the next victim

This one is the greates, I believe.

This is what I have to say!

Cheers
    \"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards - and even then I have my doubts\".....Spaf
    Everytime I learn a new thing, I discover how ignorant I am.- ... Black Cluster

Hey Hey,

Black Cluster: Changing the number of APs needed to ban someone won't help.... Anyone who's getting their jolly's this much and has been banned time and time again is just going to keep coming back.... That'd be hurtful to new members who happen to make a mistake and get negged for it... It's not going to damage the trouble makers.

Val: You've got some good ideas there... others could just hurt the community.

1, 2, 3, 4 -- I agree
    5 -- Why limit the useful information that someone could be providing?? There's been times when I've started more than 4 threads in an hour..

6 and maybe even 7 ... again I agree

8 -- Same as 5.... I know a lot of members post more than that.. especially if two members get involved in a debate you may see twice that number of posts in a half hour.

9 -- Definately Agree (but again won't hinder the person you've made this post about.. it's just something that should exist)

10 -- Not sure I follow what you're saying here... Each IP should only have one account.. trouble makers are just going to use proxies

11 -- Agreed... but that won't stop posts..

The fact is that anything IP based is fairly useless.... proxies will easily evade that.. That sort of protection should be in place.. but it's like having a lock on your front door... It'll only deter the people that don't need deterance.

I think its sad how much of the communities time and energy (and how much of the front page) is going towards this problem... While ignoring the problem won't make it go away... this is just making it more apparent..

Even when Spec isn't flooding the forum.... members are flooding the forum to bitch about him... I wonder what new members must think when they come across this site...

Peace,
    HT

I think its sad how much of the communities time and energy (and how much of the front page) is going towards this problem... While ignoring the problem won't make it go away... this is just making it more apparent..
    HTRegz, I know you hate when I say this.. but I co-sign this 100%. The more users keep making threads/posts about the little pissant, the more he'll keep coming back and get laughs/kicks out of what he does. *sigh*

I wonder what new members must think when they come across this site...
    Indeed, as do I.. *sighs again*
    Space For Rent.. =]

Banned
    Numbers 1 and 2 are already in place, val.

Originally posted here by HTRegz
    Hey Hey,

Black Cluster: Changing the number of APs needed to ban someone won't help.... Anyone who's getting their jolly's this much and has been banned time and time again is just going to keep coming back.... That'd be hurtful to new members who happen to make a mistake and get negged for it... It's not going to damage the trouble makers.
    HT
    Hello HTRegz,

I don't think that a n00b with good posts, will be negged severely. He might get nigged slightly in the first! unless he is seeking troubles! Even for n00bs I noticed that even if they replied to old threads they don't get negged, instead a reply post to their post to inform them not to reply to old threads. which, I personally, consider a good thing! When posting some wrong technical information! they rather be corrected and not negged!

Think about it! we have seniors online 24/7! unlike mods! they can't be available all times!
    APs reduction needed to ban members, can improve the immune system against trolls!

Cheers
    \"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards - and even then I have my doubts\".....Spaf

unlike mods! they can't be available all times
    I must disagree with this. I think that as of right now, we usually have at the least 2 moderator's on the website 24/7, if not 3-4. I always see like 4-5 on myself, but I'm give-or-taking it.
    Space For Rent.. =]

Hi Spyder32,

I wasn't online yesterday, and as I saw the spech could make a great miss, and posted like more than 10 posts in the security tutorials forum, before he got banned by our senior APs power!

cheers

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    I was online from around 07:00 GMT, and I've been online here all day today :sad get:
    and when this was all happening, there were only around 17 members on, and NO mods / admin ............

it's apparent that he is aware of the shift pattern, and comes accordingly ..........
    our reds were not strong enough to stop him quickly
    we need more mods
    or we need a better plan of defence ..............
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

And that's his first account that made it that far, no? Sheer luck..
    Space For Rent.. =]