linux to W2K domain ??

Thread: linux to W2K domain ??

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar

Unhappy linux to W2K domain ??

First, I'm not sure if this is the right forum, so if wrong, I'm sorry :

problem :
    as it says in the title, I want to join Linux boxes to a W2K server based domain ??
    I've been looking, but all I've found are sites that require you to join up, and quite frankly, I'm reaching join up overload as it is ........

the tutorials here, that I've squinted at, i cannot find one that is specific to my needs .....

So I'm asking for hints / tips / links to the required info............

specifically : Fedora core 3 / Ubuntu / Mandrake

I already have a couple of window boxes on the domain [W2K Pro / XP Pro] and I already use the aforementioned boxes to play on and surf ........... but I'd like to access the network, mainly because it's there and because I think it's a good thing to be able to do

TIA

Pax
    55 - I'm fiftyfeckinfive and STILL no wiser,
    OLDER yes
    Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Foxy: im not sure if you are trying to join as a workstation, as a member or as a domain controller, so i will start "join as a workstation". (also i dont know your expertise on samba, so please dont get me wrong if i start too basic...)

you can search google about samba usage like this http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...windows+domain

a good one that ive found is this http://linuxgazette.net/105/price.html

i hope this first will solve your doubt.
    Meu sítio

FORMAT C: Yes ...Yes??? ...Nooooo!!! ^C ^C ^C ^C ^C
    If I die before I sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to encrypt.
    If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to brake.

Expertise = zero

I'm wanting to join workstations to a W2K domain

I had already found some links via Google, but didn't know about Samba [from your google link ]
    OLDER yes

Hoopy Frood

Re: linux to W2K domain ??

Originally posted here by foxyloxley
    but all I've found are sites that require you to join up, and quite frankly, I'm reaching join up overload as it is ........
    http://www.bugmenot.com/ == lifesaver. (Only works on free sites, though, obviously.) There's even a Firefox extension for it: http://roachfiend.com/archives/category/extensions/

- Xierox
    "Personality is only ripe when a man has made the truth his own."

-- Søren Kierkegaard

You can certainly join samba to a Windows 2000 (etc) domain for authentication of users connecting to Samba - although they'll usually still need a Unix account (i.e. in passwd) so that they can own files.

The next stage, which is considerably more problematic, is running winbindd and the appropriate pam module (pam_samba?) to authenticate users (still in passwd) locally and for non-samba services such as remote logins over ssh.

Then the next stage would be to use the samba nss module, enabling you to have users on your unix system not in passwd at all, rather from the NT domain. This is possible but I've not tried it. This is ideal as it means the passwd files don't need to contain domain users at all. What I'm not totally sure is how unix user IDs are mapped, specifically, they need to be consistent on every machine that is sharing files via nfs.

Mark

Just an update :
    I'll be back

Samba reading is taking longer than expected ............that is I wasn't expecting ANY reading on it, as I don't have it here

I DO have a box loaded with Clark Connect which I intend to use as a filter on my system .........

so please bear with me as I plod along
    OLDER yes

foxey im having a heck of a time with thte same thing so i can't tell you much but i do recomend using webmin to configure your samba server, i know it's on the mdk 10.2 disks.

question if i may. im at home vpn'ed in with a 192.168.56.0/24 address. the AD server is on a 10.0.0.0/16. would this be the reason why a can't join the domain? this doesn't preesent a problem for windows machines.
    ----------------------
    [root@localhost samba]# net rpc join member -U <domain\admin>

Unable to find a suitable server
    ---------------------
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”