Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Request for Moderation

Request for Moderation

Decided to put this here because this affects the ' whole ' site and membership...not just those who can access Addicts.

1. I've said it before and I'll say it again...we need a more equal distribution of mods across time zones.

This would provide a greater ability to deal with a situation ' before ' it ever becomes an issue...eg. a mess like the other night.

Seeing as JupMed has generously agreed not to pay the mods ( exceptions noted ) , adding a few more should not cause an undue economic hardship for them.

Personally, as I have suggested before, foxy and Undies are two credible candidates...actually, considering the size of the membership, a additional 4-5 mods from the other side of the pond would be reasonable and would create a better distribution of them.

In essence the mods here are the sites firewalls and AV protectors.

2. I don't really give a flying fluck about what other people's opinions are concerning this...this below...

Most Recently Banned:
    » **** FUNK
    » HEY **** YOU!
    » Evil Skiddie
    » TheEvilSkiddie
    » j00 stupid fux!
    » **** pushed in
    » LickMyDamnBalls
    » LickMy****inAss
    » Random Blow4Joe
    » Blow Random Joe
    should be removed from the front page...it makes the site look trashy and highly unprofessional.

3. Spyder once suggested I PM intmon or someone...and if I had the standing and influence of the likes of nihil, Neg, or others I would...but reality is I have no influence here so it would be a wasted effort falling upon deaf ears.

Does anyone really think this is never going to happen again? It is...and for a site that touts the ' importance ' of security and prevention...and constantly complains about people not properly protecting their machines...don't you think we should be properly prepared to deal with this situation when it happens again?

or is this just a case of hypocrisy...where we complain about those lacking and yet leave this site open for attack and abuse and do nothing but clean up the mess?!

Think of this in terms of standard security...are you supposed to protect your machine to prevent infection...or leave it open and just clean it up.

Eg

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    I am almost always on at about 0500 EST and saw the mess on the front page..... I could have fixed it with the power to do so..... As it is, (and no reflection on anyone - we all have lives), it took a couple more hours before a mod came aboard.

I generally lurk here from 0500-1900 EST.... I'll quite happily throw the riff-raff out the door....

Egal is exactly right - crap like that on the front page clearly states that we can't secure our meeting place.... What the hell else are we supposed to be able to secure?
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

AO Senior Cow-beller

Re: Request for Moderation

Originally posted here by Egaladeist
    ...<snip>... Spyder once suggested I PM intmon or someone...and if I had the standing and influence of the likes of nihil, Neg, or others I would...but reality is I have no influence here so it would be a wasted effort falling upon deaf ears.
    I don't think that's true. Intmon has been receptive to my few comments to him long before I joined the ranks of the moderators. I think you have more influence than you credit yourself with.

As for the problems you've referred to, JupMedia are looking into options to help address these sorts of things. The community did a fairly good job of handling it without a nuke from the moderators anyway, or so I've heard. Is that correct?
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar
    I too agree with Eg that the stuff from the front page should be removed and we do need more mods. I know there isnt much that I personally can do but, if there is anything that I can do I would be willing to do. Im no mod but I am a nite owl and on late so if i see anything bad going on ( i.e. spec) I can use what power I have to neg him and dont worry I dont neg without cause... anyway just letting you know.
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

A start might be a little co-ordination of efforts? a lot of the (now) global mods have only just discovered their new powers but probably are not to sure exactly what to do with them.?

A start might be if we knew which timezone everyone was in and when they are REGULARLY online I am in the GMT zone which is EST +5.

I have given my number to Foxy~ and will to anyone else who wants it.............I suggest UK only so as to keep phone costs down. Hey this is no big deal, you only need a mod for serious attacks?

Time to close ranks and fix bayonets chaps

EDIT: Even from abroad all you have to say is "hey nihil time to logon code is XXXXX"? shouldn't cost too much, even long distance. But try to pick someone who declares themselves more or less active at the time we have the problem?

Just a thought?

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar
    I am in Texas. its Central Time Zone. right now its weds 4:33 pm... if anyone wants my cell number PM me
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    My times are declared.... I may slack off at weekends but usually after 0900 EST since I have my sweetie to give me tasks.....

On workdays I rise at 0500 EST and can be monitoring much of the day.... My posting record gives you a good idea of the times I am generally on.....

Bayonet fixed..... FPF set.... protect the RV.....
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Hey Hey,

I'm in EST (and I can say the same for MsM)..

I'm generally always floating around here... I keep a window open at work.. 8:30am - 5 (sometimes 6)pm... and as soon as I get home.. I open it.. Mind you in the evenings tend to spend less time around the computer than I used to... but it's still here... My email checks itself every 5 minutes... at work I'm available instantly by email..

Several members have my work email address.. I'll provide it to others if they so desire.
    I've already provided Eg. with my cell number and will do so for other members as well..

I sleep from 2am to 7am and that's about it... the rest of the time I'm near a computer, even when sleeping my cell is next to me..

And on that note... Persuant to past conversations... I'm closing this thread...

Peace,
    HT

I'm constantly here, but I must say if we're going to get another mod, it should be someone "across" the pond. We have enough on "this side" and this was reiterated by intmon aswell.
    Space For Rent.. =]

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    Umm, this may sound completely obvious, but why not sanity check usernames at the time of creation? This isn't hard to do. Create a black list of terms and simply compare them for compliance. No mess, no frills...

--TH13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden