Think your PC is safe online? Think again
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Think your PC is safe online? Think again

Post Think your PC is safe online? Think again

There are lots of people who don't really know much about computer security, maybe they don't have the time to learn, or think it's too complicated, or maybe they just can't be bothered. That's why the following article did not surprise me one bit. Still an interesting read though.

Think your PC is safe online? Think again.

Study finds 81 percent of home PCs don't have basic security software

By Bob Sullivan

Technology correspondent
    MSNBC
    Updated: 8:32 p.m. ET Dec. 7, 2005

WASHINGTON - While most Internet users think they are safe online, they're not, according to a new study released Wednesday by America Online and the National Cyber Security Alliance.
    In fact, about 80 percent are exposed to common Internet threats, the study found.

More than half of the participants either had no anti-virus protection or had not updated it within the last week, researchers found. About half did not have a properly-configured firewall, and four in ten didn't have spyware protection. Taken collectively, more than 4 in five consumers lacked at least one of the three types of basic protection.

Still, 83 percent told researchers they were "safe from online threats," the study found.
    Think your PC is safe online? Think again
    Share on Google+

The basic problem is that people go and buy a PC in the same way as they would buy a microwave or a hair dryer. The actually do not understand that there is a problem or issue regarding security.

As long as it works, they think that it is OK?

Share on Google+

Originally posted here by nihil
    The basic problem is that people go and buy a PC in the same way as they would buy a microwave or a hair dryer. The actually do not understand that there is a problem or issue regarding security.

As long as it works, they think that it is OK?

I completely agree nihil. If you buy a pc and something goes wrong such as a virus attacking it, then it must be the fault of the computer manufacturer. I would love to teach basic computer security to people who know nothing about it and need some guidance, just got to get the piece of paper which will allow me to teach.
    Share on Google+

Frustrated Mad Scientist
    Hi paws,

I would love to teach basic computer security
    That's maybe a better idea than you think.
    I used to run a little home business after hours doing basic PC repairs. It was almost 90% spyware/virus removal. I used to spend more time explaining everything than fixing the machines.

Made me a little bit of money but it made a long working day. If I hadn't made the move from support to Infosec I might have gone for it fulltime.

just got to get the piece of paper which will allow me to teach.
    Are you studying right now?
    Share on Google+

Originally posted here by Aspman
    Hi paws,

That's maybe a better idea than you think.
    I used to run a little home business after hours doing basic PC repairs. It was almost 90% spyware/virus removal. I used to spend more time explaining everything than fixing the machines.

Made me a little bit of money but it made a long working day. If I hadn't made the move from support to Infosec I might have gone for it fulltime.

Are you studying right now?
    Hi Aspman

Yes I am, taking my Java exam in March, then I will be studying for the teaching certificate and then finally will get my CS Degree. In between all of that I am teaching myself as much as I can about computer security, it's busy but very enjoyable.

I would do the basic PC repairs as I do know quite a bit, and have fixed friends pc's, but at the moment there are quite a few people where I live already doing that. However, I will feel more confident doing that when I have the certificate!
    Share on Google+

think it's too complicated, or maybe they just can't be bothered
    This pretty much sums up 2 of the demographics which I see all the time with problem PC's the... think it's too complicated group... are the middle aged to senior's, mostly people taking up PC's for the first time.(have to know what the kids are doing online all the time... ), the other group I have found to be late teens to mid twenty's "Gamers", as long as their games are playable they could care less about "updates, patches etc." But when it is infected, they are soon running to the forums for help,......... which is a positive as opposed to those that don't realise they may have a "zombie" for a PC, and merrily go on their way.

Good Luck on your exam's
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson
    Share on Google+

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    WASHINGTON - While most Internet users think they are safe online, they're not, according to a new study released Wednesday by America Online and the National Cyber Security Alliance.
    In fact, about 80 percent are exposed to common Internet threats, the study found.
    This is verrrrry interesting. Funny how this comes out right about when AOL is hucking their new and improved security features in their software. Even more interesting, it aligns perfectly with all the commercials I see on TV.

FUD anyone?

This is about as funny as ZDNet saying that CA and Symantec make the best personal firewalls in a recent article. Interesting how those two companies are huge contributors. Can anyone say, "NO credibility??!!"

I see AOL as the Gartner of ISPs.

--TH13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden
    Share on Google+

the other group I have found to be late teens to mid twenty's "Gamers", as long as their games are playable they could care less about "updates, patches etc."
    LOL god damn this is a funny statement for me. Not because i think its wrong or anything but this used to be me.

I am gamer, been addicted to FFXI for . . . . well too long. Originally i did think that as long as my game worked i don't care. Well **** finally got bad enough on my box where my game stopped working, and a buddy of mine is a member of this site, so he reffered me to you guys. Came in, got my **** fixed, and now i can't leave AO. It has definatly made me a lot more aware about pc securities and i no longer only care if my game is working. AO saved my box.
    \"He who shall introduce into public affairs the principles of primitive Christianity will change the face of the world.\"
    Benjamin Franklin
    Share on Google+

Frustrated Mad Scientist
    Hey Horse,

I couldn't dissagree that these big companies have a vested interest in talking up these risks if they are about to release security products. But I would agree with it's findings and that they are possibly on the conservative side.

Most (but not all) computer owners know that they need AV, but they thing that just by having AV that is enough. Updates/patches etc are another matter...'Too Technical'.

Spyware is still a mystery to most. If IE has popups then it is IE that is faulty.

Just like Nihil said, a lot of users just see a PC as another type of 'white goods'.
    Share on Google+

AOs Resident Troll
    Its all FUD.....

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895...05dtx1k0000599

Vendors creating the scare...then offering the fix??

and I totally agree that the average user treats thier computer like the fridge....but there also appears to be huge misinformation out there....

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer
    Share on Google+