Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Think your PC is safe online? Think again

My Mom and Dad just got online within the last few months. My Dad, already recognizing he was a noob - he even said he was, understood the situation from the getgo after watching the news and hearing people talk about computers in general - as soon as you become connected to a network of any kind - you are vulnerable. It has already been mentioned before, that most users treat their online devices as another appliance, but these appliance need continual updates and maintenance; unlike the toaster which always seems to build up a bed of "toaster leavin's"

I will be prepping my mother-in-law to go online during the holidays - and once I break through the "I'm too stupid to learn this confounded thang" mentality that she has right now - she and my father-in-law will be getting regular lectures on protecting their pc. I saw it also mentioned throughout the thread that teaching users should be going on. Should that be our responsibility to the community, and to quote the movie "Judge Dredd", "Take the law to those who know it not!" ?!? It would not have to be completely altruistic, I love capitalism as much as the next greedy bastage, but should those who know at least something of security and those deemed experts, be enlightening the masses?
    \"We\'re the middle children of history.... no purpose or place. We have no Great War, no Great Depression. Our great war is a spiritual war. Our great depression is our lives. We\'ve all been raised by television to believe that one day we\'ll all be millionaires and movie gods and rock stars -- but we won\'t. And we\'re learning slowly that fact. And we\'re very, very pissed off.\" - Tyler (Brad Pitt) Fight Club.

Banned
    but should those who know at least something of security and those deemed experts, be enlightening the masses?
    I though that was the point of AO?

I though that was the point of AO?
    Wakka-wakka! Yes that is the point of AO - but people in this community tend to be more enlightened than most about security, and I think a majority of the users the study information is referring to do not know really anything about computer security. If they do know and just don't take action, well then they need a beating about the head and shoulders.
    \"We\'re the middle children of history.... no purpose or place. We have no Great War, no Great Depression. Our great war is a spiritual war. Our great depression is our lives. We\'ve all been raised by television to believe that one day we\'ll all be millionaires and movie gods and rock stars -- but we won\'t. And we\'re learning slowly that fact. And we\'re very, very pissed off.\" - Tyler (Brad Pitt) Fight Club.

genXer:
    first off i like your signature, good quote
    second, im not sure im following your logic

but should those who know at least something of security and those deemed experts, be enlightening the masses?
    Yes that is the point of AO - but people in this community tend to be more enlightened than most about security, and I think a majority of the users the study information is referring to do not know really anything about computer security.
    did you think that the people the article were talking about would be the ones educating?

in reference to
    a majority of the users the study information is referring to do not know really anything about computer security
    , i agree, this is quite true. my grandparents would fall under this category. ive gone over to their house quite a few times to remove spyware and viri and basicly clean up their computer (un-needed apps, above mentioned, etc.). Its mostly because they dont keep the tools i give them up to date (ill admit it is hard, slow dial up) but if they had a little more knowledge and took the extra half hour a week to update and do scans they'd be fine.
    it all stems from a lack of knowledge.
    if God was willing to live all out for us, why aren't we willing to live all out for Him? God bless,
    Godsrock37
    my home my forum

Originally posted here by catch

Like the people who wrote the report, the person who wrote the article on the report, and now you who posted the article here.
    Exactly, I didn't write the report, I posted it here for a mature adult discussion. I am here to learn.