Thread: We can live forever ( maybe)

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar

We can live forever ( maybe)

http://www.wired.com/news/technology...=wn_story_top5

Some people claim that we will be able to live forever soon or at least REALLY old 200+ years... the article is a guy saying why we wouldnt want too... its actually kinda humorous. personally I dont want to live past 100.
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

********** |ceWriterguy
    I only want to reach 100 if I'm still actively having sex...otherwise, what's the point? I'll live forever though - through my work, my writing, and my kids.

Who really wants to hit 200 years old? Sorry folks, Methuselah I'm not (although I feel somewhat older than him on certain days...damn it's cold outside!)

[edit]Wow! Heck of a way to spend post number 1300 eh? I think I should still wait a while timewise before inquiring about titles though...[/edit]
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

Blackice, you'll soon reach 1337, you have to screenshoot that one and post it in addicts, i think there's a thread about it.
    O.G at A.O

I only want to reach 100 if I'm still actively having sex
    Amen to that.

I want to live a normal life. I don't want to have to watch my children and grandchildren die. I would be able to get filthy rich though, and provide for my family several times over. I'd totally work those interest rates. And I suppose it'd give me a lot of opportunities...but if I were forced to decide, I'd probably decide against it. I'm only 21, so I may change my mind around the time I hit 60, but for now that's how I feel about it.

Besides, old people have a lot of crap they have to deal with. All sorts of physical ailments... Even if it were possible to live until 200, you wouldn't be able to do anything. That would suck. It's like saying "I plan to be a burden to my children for their entire lives", lol. That's just sick.

Banned
    I'm planning on dying in a massive explosion involving homemade alcohol and a few hundred strippers.

I won't even see 60.

Damn if people lived for that long, i'd hate to be doing a life sentence in jail, i mean that would be a looong sentence..

Anyhow with the way i've abused my body of the years i'd say i'm gonna be lucky to see 40..

f2b

Where is all of your sense of grandeur? I personally, would love to live forever. Immortality presents alot more pros than cons for me--so long as I wasn't a decrypt, feeble lump of flesh.

Financial security wouldn't be much of a problem. When you're around that long, you're bound to have an immense amount of education and expertise to get paid for. I hardly imagine being able to get bored living forever. You have an eternity to explore the world and all of its wonders. Spend every decade in a new country, absorb the culture, learn the language, etc.

Technology would grow by leaps and bounds. Imagine the advances in any feild of technology that could be made by people with centuries of experience and knowledge? Sure you'd have to watch a majority of the people around you die, but as their mortal selves were only temporary, so will the pain. People lose loved ones all of the time since the dawn of man, but they still live on.

While everyone on the planet living forever presents some major problems, I think it's just another step in our evolution to a higher state of being. Hell, I wouldn't be suprised if we succeeded in creating life from inanimate composits by the end of the decade (we're pretty close). After all, what are the purpose of stars if not to reach for?
    \"Greatness only comes at great risk.\" ~ Personal/Generic

Originally posted here by d0pp
    I'm planning on dying in a massive explosion involving homemade alcohol and a few hundred strippers.

I won't even see 60.
    Hell yeah. If I go, it'll be in a gi-normous explosion. I've always said that. Everyone will know about it, I'll be on the news, and my family won't have to pay to cremate me.

No, I am not a terrorist. I swear.

so long as I wasn't a decrypt, feeble lump of flesh.
    Sorry dude, but so long as you're human, it's inevitable.

I suppose one's perspective would also be partially determined by your belief of what will happen to you when you die. This is not cosmos, so please don't elaborate much on this as it could turn into a theological discussion way too easily, and that's not my intent. I was just speculating.