Thread: New Book Coming Out on Penetration Testing: Thoughts?

New Book Coming Out on Penetration Testing: Thoughts?

Hello all-

I just saw that a new book on Penetration Testing is coming out. Some of you may know the authors; I don't but I have heard of them. The cover is still in flux apparently, but I was wondering if anyone had thoughts on this forthcoming book on pen testing:

http://www.remote-exploit.org/index.php/Main_Page

and here:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...573676-9268019

And just in case those don't work:

Title: Penetration Tester's Open Source Toolkit
    ISBN: 1597490210

Amazon states the book has not been released yet for sale and the publish date from the book information is December 1, 2005.

Here is what Amazon.com says:
    This is the first fully integrated Penetration Testing book and bootable Linux CD containing the Auditor Security Collection which includes over 300 of the most effective and commonly used open source attack and penetration testing tools. This powerful tool kit and authoritative reference is written by the security industry's foremost penetration testers including HD Moore, Jay Beale, and SensePost. This unique package provides you with a completely portable and bootable Linux attack distribution and authoritative reference to the toolset included and the required methodology.

Penetration testing a network requires a delicate balance of art and science. A penetration tester must be creative enough to think outside of the box to determine all possible attack vector into his own network, and also be expert in using the literally hundreds of tools required to execute the plan and meticulously document their results. This book provides both the art and the science. The authors of the book are expert penetration testers who have developed many of the leading pen testing tools; such as the Metasploit framework. The authors allow the reader inside their heads to unravel the mysteries of thins like identifying targets, enumerating hosts, application fingerprinting, cracking passwords, and attacking exposed vulnerabilities. Along the way, the authors provide an invaluable reference to the hundreds of hijacking tools; sniffers; scanners; Web application; and vulnerability assessment tools from the bootable-Linux CD including the Metasploit Framework; ettercap, dsniff, Ethereal, Nmap, Paketto, Scanrand, Hydra, Paros, Nessus, and many more.
    It looks at the very least interesting and could provide another tool for a pen tester or a security admin.

Does anyone else have information on this book?

Thanks!
    \"We\'re the middle children of history.... no purpose or place. We have no Great War, no Great Depression. Our great war is a spiritual war. Our great depression is our lives. We\'ve all been raised by television to believe that one day we\'ll all be millionaires and movie gods and rock stars -- but we won\'t. And we\'re learning slowly that fact. And we\'re very, very pissed off.\" - Tyler (Brad Pitt) Fight Club.

Interesting, it has James Foster as one of the co-authors. He is pretty darn good at writing buffer overflows, format string attacks, etc. Also it from the same publishing house as his other books. I would, tentitivly, give this a thumbs up.

Regardless though I will buy the book and check it out.

Give a man a match and he will be warm for a while, light him on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.