Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help!

Is this reminiscent of a scavenger hunt?

Hi there Computernerd22 check out this link [1] hopefully it helps ...

[1] How can I gain access to a Windows NT/2000/XP/2003 computer if I forgot the administrator's password? How can I reset the administrator's password if I forgot it?

B.T.W. Good luck ...

Quick question .... Do you have any friends that could download the software for you and burn it ??? If you do that might be something that you might wanna try ... Just a suggestion ...
    Operation Cyberslam
    \"I\'ve noticed that everybody that is for abortion has already been born.\" Author Unknown
    Microsoft Shared Computer Toolkit
    Proyecto Ututo EarthCam

I know next to nothing about laptop computers so this may be a very stupid suggestion, but is it possible to take the cd burner out of the laptop and hook it up to your working desktop as an external, or quasi external, unit just so you can burn the needed utilities onto a cd?
    \"He who shall introduce into public affairs the principles of primitive Christianity will change the face of the world.\"
    Benjamin Franklin

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Jewish: No... It won't work unless he is an electrical engineer par excellance.

Computernerd: You have everything you need except, apparently, the brains and the desire. You lack the desire because you have the gear you need but you want a quicker way than having to scavenge from your broken boxes to create a working box in order to get another, relatively nice, box. You lack the brains becuase you have been here a long time and this has been discussed a million times and you haven't got it yet.....

I should neg you but everyone gets _one_ blonde moment.....
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

AFLAAACKKK!!
    Computernerd22, I have to agree with everyone, this has been covered literally hundreds of times here... I'm sending you a PM...
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools

Get a copy of Knoppix.

Or you could also try this
    Originally posted here by .:front2back:.
    Here's a way to modify the psswrd, it's probably isn't what your looking for but this is what i do when i forget the a psswrd.

{Obtained these from a Web-Site some time ago}

This gives a user the opportunity to use it for good or bad.
    It enables the user to re-password any account without having to know the existing password and also shows you every account that exists on the machine (even the ones that are hidden). This is a good tool to use if you forgot a password to say your administrator account and you needed to be logged into the admin account for any reason.

To view all of the user accounts:

1) While logged onto the computer, click on Start>Run>and type in CMD.

2) From the command prompt window, type in net users. This will show you every account that is made onto the computer whether it is hidden or not.

------------

To change an account password:

1) While logged onto the computer to an account that has administrative rights, click on Start>Run>and type in CMD.

2) Type in net user then the name of the account then * and press enter. heres an example: net user administrator * or net user "Joe Smith" * . Put the name in quotes if it contains spaces.

3) From there it should ask for a new password. Type in your new password (type very carefully - the command window won't display what you type) and once more to confirm it. If you get the message that the command succeeded successfully you're all set!!

And there is always doing it this way.

The Stored User Names and Passwords applet lets you assign user names and passwords to use when needing to authenticate yourself to services in domains other than the one you are currently logged into. The normal way of running this applet can be difficult to find quickly, so here is a way to launch it using a desktop shortcut using the rundll32.exe program:

Click on START - RUN and type the following (follwed by ENTER):

rundll32.exe keymgr.dll,KRShowKeyMgr

f2b
    Hopefully this might help out a little bit, i'm not one for scavenger hunts or wild goose chases..

front2back

A Compaq laptop?

I would get on a working box and check the specifications. It probably has an EEPROM chip with a password and a HDD password. If those have been set you have big problems.

You might be able to get past the EEPROM, but you won't get past the HDD password.

I guess my first move would be to remove the HDD and connect an old one with an OS on it (you will need an adapter if it is a regular desktop drive) If that doesn't work, then you are facing an EEPROM password to start with.

Similarly, if you mount the existing drive as a slave, that will tell you if it is password protected.

Basically, if you don't have the tools, you can't do the job?

AFLAAACKKK!!
    I don't know about you guys, but it seems going out and buying a 30 dollar CD-RW is well worth the investment... Afterall, if he get's into the desktop he get's that free alienware laptop...
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools