Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: weird hardware failure

weird hardware failure

Hi all,

System: Dell Desktop, Pentium 4 1.8 Ghz, 512 RAM Win Xp Pro. No virus found by AVG or Housecall.

Out of the blue my box started to shut down, after a few reboots display settings were changed and in Device Manager appeared an exclamation mark in System Devices -> Intel Processor to AGP controller.

Properties for this device show:

This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12)

If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system.

Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device.
    From System information:

System Information report written at: 12/10/2005 11:07:53 AM

[Conflicts/Sharing]

Resource Device
    I/O Port 0x00000000-0x00000CF7 PCI bus
    I/O Port 0x00000000-0x00000CF7 Direct memory access controller

Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF PCI bus
    Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF VgaSave

Boot time is fine, applications run fine but whenever scrolling inside any app, it kind of slows down and doesn't scroll smoothly. Same effect when draging any window around the desktop.

Any help determining the cause of this problem an its solution will be highly appreciated.

cheers,

J

AOs Resident Troll
    Well..could be lots of different things...am dealing with this as we speak.

I had my computer freeze up...had to hard shutdown.

Bring it back up ...and nothing...I think video, I run to another machine with a similar video card and try that...boots....then hangs

Wont boot again.

Could be power supply or motherboard...I am thinking power supply because my APC UPS would start to beep on a regular basis when I was running several apps...meaning the box was drawing more power then it could supply...so I think its all those fancy apps and databases I am running sucking CPU power...I buy a bigger APC....stops beeping....but now something is fried....

Transfering data as we speak ( i tend to leave stuff I am currently working on locally on a data partition til its done)...I know bad bad bad

Currently have the harddrive slaved in a working machine

The point is....could be alot of different thing..........my first thought is....because your video settings are getting reset...

It MAY be related to the video card. and or mouse driver conflicting...

1 Look in the event logs and see if you can gleen something in there as to the cause of the shutdowns\crashes
    2 try an updated drivers..go to Dell and get the latest drivers for your machine
    3 try another video card
    4 disable applications that may be running..such as AV, adaware, etc (temporaly) to see if it still happens when they are not running

Place to start....at least your machine boots

Let us know

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

AFLAAACKKK!!
    I agree with everything MLF has mentioned... I also have to ask, have you installed any new hardware recently? First thing that comes to mind is a PSU related problem, second thought that comes to mind is to uninstall current driver and install updated driver... Even if it's the same version as the one you already have installed...
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools

just a thought, you haven't tried overclocking either the motherboard or the video card have you?

f2b

You have checked for viruses, but it could be other malware:

http://www.ewido.net/en/
    http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/free/

Download, install, update then reboot and run them in SAFE MODE.

Then:

1. Update video AND SOUND drivers
    2. Try turning sound off
    3. Delete the video device and let Windows re-detect it.

As a general rule XP is very good at handling resource sharing, so it shouldn't be that. Conflicts between audio and video are not uncommon, and the effects of spyware/adware are unpredictable. These are frequently not detected by AV applications because they are not viruses as such.

Good luck

********** |ceWriterguy
    Just my 2 centavos since nobody else has added it -

Might be the memory - the 'not enough resources' points that way...
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

Hello all,

Thanks for your feed back.

Just to comment, I googled a bit before posting and got many different causes related to my problem: fan, power supply, motherboard, etc. Without getting any concise solutions.

I will run the scanners suggested by nihil and uninstall and reinstall drivers. See what happens.

I'd like to add that this system is from around 2001. Might be some fried circuit in there...

Cheers,

J

Hey Johnny,

I'd like to add that this system is from around 2001
    They should last a bit longer than that I run PI and PIIs on a day to day basis?

Nihil:

Ewido and a square found only a few cookies, and a couple of malwares. But nothing extreme.

Before posting I formatted and reinstalled win xp, I am gonna uninstall and reinstall the drivers.

cheers,

J

Please keep us posted Johnny,

These things can be a great pain to solve at a distance

Cheers,

Johnno