Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Computer Problem..

In utter and endless vanity. Humbleness, oh how I miss thee.
    Sorry bout this.. but I forgot to ask, what do you mean by safe mode ? I am the defination of newb.. lol.

Hoopy Frood
    What is Safe Mode?
    It is when Windows boots with the absolute minimum drivers necessary to start the system. It loads no startup programs that normally start.

Why should I run scans from Safemode?
    Because the malware/viruses/etc. does not start running in Safemode (True 99% of the time), it cannot interfere with the malware scans you run. Sometimes they will crash the scan program or sometimes they will hide from it.

How do I get into Safe Mode?
    Roughly three to five seconds after you press the power button on your computer, start tapping the F8 key on your keyboard and you'll have an option to boot into Safe Mode. (Ideally, you want to start pressing F8 as soon as your BIOS bootup screen disappears and before you see the Windows XP booting bar.)

- Xierox
    "Personality is only ripe when a man has made the truth his own."

-- Søren Kierkegaard

I was going to suggest switching over to Mozilla's "Firefox", which you can download Right Here but recently there's been a security issue with 1.5....

Does anyone know the latest on this "history.dat" thing?!

Either way, I'd still choose it over IE any day.

Hoopy Frood
    Originally posted here by ThePastorGang
    I was going to suggest switching over to Mozilla's "Firefox", which you can download Right HereDoes anyone know the latest on this "history.dat" thing?!
    Very easily mitigated:
    Configure Firefox to clear history information when closing the browser. This affects functionality.
    Tools -> Options... --> Privacy --> Settings...

Also see instructions available from the vendor for how to recover from an attack (original advisory). (Source: http://secunia.com/advisories/17934/)

- Xierox

-- Søren Kierkegaard

Hi,

Just a quicky,

i was looking at the sites Nihil posted and noticed that the link for the third one was wrong, i think it should have been:

http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/free/

Nihil, correct me if i'm wrong, and thanks for the sites, will have a proper look when i'm at home and not waisting work time

Thanks

ShippMA
    www.simpleits.co.uk
    www.tazforum.**********.com
    Google is god ....... of the Internet

Lol, yeah I caught that one too. Don't worry though, I was able to figure it out . Oh, and it also works with http://www.emsisoft.net/en/software/free/. Though it's the same thing.
    This is our world now. The world of the electron and the switch. The beauty of the baud. We exist without nationality, skin color, or religious bias. You wage wars, murder, cheat, lie to us and try and make us think it's for our own good, yet we are the criminals. Yes I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. I am a hacker and this is my manifesto. You may stop me but you can't stop us all.

That's right. I'm 10100111001.

Hope you guys don't get tired of solving my problems.. Okay, so I got this little reaccuring thing here. I've rebooted my whole computer with the system restore cd many times before this thing here happens to my computer a lot. Everytime I start it up, it's really, really slow. I mean slow compared to what it normally is. Going from bout 20 seconds or so to start up to at least 4 mins to completely load my whole desktop is a big change for me. I don't know if it's because I got too much space used up on it or what. Any ideas?
    This is our world now. The world of the electron and the switch. The beauty of the baud. We exist without nationality, skin color, or religious bias. You wage wars, murder, cheat, lie to us and try and make us think it's for our own good, yet we are the criminals. Yes I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. I am a hacker and this is my manifesto. You may stop me but you can't stop us all.

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    can you post the details of your set up :

HDD size
    amount of RAM
    E-Machine, so I assume XP Home edition ?
    how long have you had THIS set up running

go back to my last post, find HJT, download and run it, save findings as a .txt file, then attach it to your next post.
    also get and run crapcleaner : it will clear all th e'temp' stuff that clogs up a system.

running slow has many possibilitys
    but too many 'things' running won't help, use task manager [right click in the tool bar at the bottom of screen / OR / press ctrl-alt-del] to give you a view into your system.
    insufficient RAM
    'baddies' at work

to check on how much HDD space has been used
    right click 'my computer' on the desktop
    select explore
    right click on the 'C' drive icon
    select properties
    it should give you a 'pie' representation of available space
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Hey again, okay this is what I found...

System:
    Microsoft Windows XP
    Home Edition
    Version 2002
    Serive Pack 2

Manufactured and suppoted by:
    eMachines
    W2040
    AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2000+
    1.66 GHz
    640 MB of RAM

And I've had the same thing for... maybe 6 months or so. I ran the crapcleaner and got all that cleaned up but it's still slow. And what exactly did you want me to paste from HJT? It's got a lot of stuff on the log. I checked my 'C' drive and the pie is only a little more than halfway full. So... that's my update.

Oh yeah, special thanks to X for help with the system thing.

Hoopy Frood
    Originally posted here by Godly Soup
    And what exactly did you want me to paste from HJT? It's got a lot of stuff on the log.
    The entire log. It shows a load of info in it, such as what's starting up, what BHOs are present in Internet Explorer, running processes (I think) and much more.

So post the whole thing here and I'm sure someone'll help get you fixed up. And once you're fixed up, don't forget about learning about preventing this sort of thing in the future! Removal's no good if you just go and get infected again!

- X

-- Søren Kierkegaard