Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The differences between the BSDs

Made some updates to this. Figured it was only fair considering how much attention the Linux thread was getting. I changed a few things and made some updates.

Good stuff Allen

I've been thinking about a few of the stickies around here. There's some updating of links etc etc etc that need to be taken care off.

AO's Filibustier Cheap Scotch Ron's Avatar
    Here's a graphical timeline of the evolution...
    Not sure about it's accuracy, but it's interesting...

http://www.levenez.com/unix/unix.pdf
    In God We Trust....Everything else we backup.

Just Another Geek
    I think it's fairly accurate..

This is the one in the fbsd source tree:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cg...tree?rev=1.124
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Quote Originally Posted by SirDice View Post
    I think it's fairly accurate..

This is the one in the fbsd source tree:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cg...tree?rev=1.124
    I was wondernig when you were going to get back in this thread to post something. As far as I can remember, you're one of the few people here who uses BSD for more than a toy to play with. My last count of actually active members using BSD was basically me, you, and like 3 other people.

I did add my installer to that thread coffee cup starter for me. (Coffee Cup == Teabags) .

Oh, and Coffee Cup:

I agree some stuff could use a face lift in here. When I first gained responsibility of this area of AO, I spent 3 days straight going through EVERY page of this forum and editing all the posts that were titled "Help!!!!" to what they were actually about, and re-organizing the whole damned thing.

Then I went through GCC and sent messages to some of the other mods to move the non secure OS related stuff in here for me to fix up.

That's why when you're searching AO, this forum has much more accurate results. I busted my butt for a week fixing it up, and it took 3 full days just to rename threads as I was saying, because back then, even though there weren't as many pages of stuff in here, it was still enough "Help!" and "Linux question" topics for me to change to what they were actually about.

Sorry of this is long or drags on, it's after 2 PM right now and I still haven't been to bed.