Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: front page display

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar

front page display

two thoughts:
    from recent troubles, and from recent threads, the following ideas ..........

1 } Lets remove the top ten:- nearly banned and recently banned from the front page

they are full of rubbish now, and we can always check out the stats page directly
    if we need too keep the front page filled, lets display the 10 newest members......

2 } limits to the number of posts a member can post on their first day, ten would be ample, and this way, any idiots could only do so much damage.

3 } new members CANNOT post to the tutorials for the first day either

I know I said two
    but I've just spotted the tut problem ...........
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

1 } Lets remove the top ten:- nearly banned and recently banned from the front page
    Agree with this, it's never served a purpose, and + if members did want to view it, then they can just visit the stats page.
    2 } limits to the number of posts a member can post on their first day, ten would be ample, and this way, any idiots could only do so much damage.
    Or have there post's Moderated approved before being approved to appear on Forum..
    3 } new members CANNOT post to the tutorials for the first day either
    Agree, but i can see some issues arising with this though, as there have been members in the past whom have simply registered and posted a Great tutorial, if the above mentioned was implemented then we would be loosing possible Educational Tutorials..

front2back

Frustrated Mad Scientist
    Do Mods get a PM/email whenever a new member signs up?

Should they?

I don't know how many new registrations there are daily but the Specs are usually easy enough to spot.

I don't know how many new registrations there are daily but the Specs are usually easy enough to spot.
    Total Users: 108199
    site is about five years old

108199 / 5 = 20 000 + per year = 400 + per WEEK
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

108199 / 5 = 20 000 + per year = 400 + per WEEK
    Yes but you got to take into consideration, just how many of those accounts were registered with Bots..
    Ie: how many accounts there have been Activated, and how many weren't Activated.
    Nothing that a quick DataBase query of the User Base carn't solve.

Hi fronties~ your answer is on the stats page, those who did not complete the registration process are under "others".

Total Users: 108202
    Staff: 16
    Regular Users: 69810
    Banned Users: 706
    Other: 37670
    that's a LOT of others

Originally posted here by Aspman
    Do Mods get a PM/email whenever a new member signs up?
    Hi Aspman, this would necessitate JupM to assign a special mod for this job!

I don't think this would be of much help! I would agree with limiting the number of the posts made by new useres in thier first day, or even the first week!

Cheers
    \"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards - and even then I have my doubts\".....Spaf
    Everytime I learn a new thing, I discover how ignorant I am.- ... Black Cluster

Hi BC~

I would agree with limiting the number of the posts made by new useres in thier first day, or even the first week!
    I am afraid that would be a total waste of time. Our problem rarely gets to post more than three times before he is banned and his posts deleted.

It puts me in mind of a small retarded child outside a disused factory or warehouse. He is throwing stones at the windows...............he may break one, or a dozen before the cops arrive...........that doesn't matter, because he has heard the sound of breaking glass, and that is all his inadequate personality, sorry neural reflexes, require.

Hi nihil,

It so much like putting some kind of fence around the factory so that the kid will need more power to throw the stons! He at maximimum will break one! before he breake down!

Cheers
    \"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards - and even then I have my doubts\".....Spaf
    Everytime I learn a new thing, I discover how ignorant I am.- ... Black Cluster