Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dhcp problems

Dhcp problems

Hi, I am having a problem at work we have a dhcp server to serve out addresses it is a windows 2000 server and one of my other servers has a static ip address but i still see mltiple leased addresses for it in the dhcp leased address table their is also one other machine doing this but it needs a dns address any one have any ideas why this might be soing this.

So your server that has the static IP address is still trying to get an address from the DHCP server? Are there multiple network interfaces (NIC's) on that server?
    - Maverick

No.

If you delete the entries for that server in the DHCP table then reboot the server, do those entries then show back up in the table?

Using "ipconfig /all" on the server, what is the IP address that it shows? Multiple IP address there, or just your one static address?
    - Maverick

if id do ipconfig/all it only shows one ip address the statically assigned ip address and if i delete the entries from the dhcp server with out rebooting the server they will come back in a few hours. I am starting to thing it is something between the 2 servers that is causing the problem.

And when those entries come back, you are sure that they are entries for the server in question because the Unique ID field (MAC address) on the DHCP Address Lease table matches the MAC address of the server with the static IP address?
    - Maverick

yes it is the same server that I as sure of, every thing matches.

Would the static address assigned to your server appear in your address pool for the DHCP server? If so, have you set up an exclusion for it on the DHCP server?
    - Maverick

yea I seee the static ip in the list of leased ip addresses but it is leased to the correct server under the unique id colom it shows the mac address of the server and under the type colom it says none, but on the duplicutes under type it says dhcp and under unique id it says ras.

AOs Resident Troll
    OK...I maybe misunderstanding this...

W2K reserves addresses.... eg 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.20

to be used for static addresses, other servers, printers etc

Make sure your server has an address in that range....or check out what the static reservations are on the DHCP server....

If it is in the static range...it should not show up in the leases afaik

So I think you may have assigned the server a static address which is not excluded in DHCP

Clear as mud

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer