Thread: Weather Services?

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar

Weather Services?

This might be the wrong forum, mods feel free to move it if it is. ok that said: As some of you know i recently got a new awesome computer...I was just reinstalling all of my programs on it. I dont use RealPlayer but i decided to install it anyway ( bad idea!) it came bundled with this desktop thingy from the Weather Channel called Weather Services... it immediately annoyed me so i uninstalled it or so i thought. I went to add/remove programs and tried to uninstall it but it wouldnt let me. It said it couldnt uninstall because some other software was using it (real player) so, i downloaded one of those Brute Force Uninstallers and got rid of it or so i thought. There is this annoying Weather Services Icon in my Control Panel! its not really doing anything but i cant get it to go away! it just bothers me. at this point i have uninstalled RealPlayer and been to the Weather Channels website to figure out how to uninstall that thing but i cant because: 1. I used that brute force uninstaller program and 2. I went into my registry and deleted all the registry keys for Real Player and The Weather Services thingy... YET ITS STILL THERE! ( the icon in my control panel) its not under my programs list or in add/remove programs. I have some error messages I screenshotted that i will attach. This isnt really life threatening just rather annoying.
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

The 2nd screenshot

sorry i couldnt figure out how to attach more than 1 screenshot at a time.
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

Have you tried installing that realplayer back onto the computer so that it recreated the files, and registry entries.
    Then re-uninstalling the software without using this Brute uninstalling software.
    And when it said that RealPlayer was using the software did you close RealPlayer down? Ie on the task bar you should see an icon for RealPlayer, just right click it and choose Close or Disable or Exit, carn't remember what option it gives.

And could you change the attachement to a .jpg
    you can do this with paintbrush just by choosing .jpg instead of the .bmp extension.

front2back

ok i changed those file extentions and im gonna try and reinstall realplayer and see what that does. ok, i reinstalled realplayer ( and the bundled weather thingy) and then i uninstalled both and it did take away the programs but that damn weather icon is STILL in my control panel... i guess im just stuck with it.
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

Hey man, this is generally a last resort... But you said it was a new computer anyway so back up any docs you've saved, and just reformat.

Ok if it's the Weather Program that i'm thinking of, then SpyBot should pick it up with a system Scan.

{Because it thinks the program is SpyWare because of the data it sends home}.
    Anyhow i remember i was able to remove that icon using SpyBot but i just carn't remember what or how i did it.
    Will have a think about this, but i'd probably consider what Gore has suggested, witch should be the LAST resort.
    As i'm sure that someone will be able to give you a hint..

front2back

Have a look at this :

Inspect the list of CPL (control panel icon) files in the %Systemroot%\System32 folder. Click Start/Run and type CMD and press Enter. Type these commands and press Enter after each line:

CD\Windows\System32
    Dir *.cpl /a /b >C:\CPLs.txt

Open C:\CPLs.txt in Notepad and verify each CPL. Some of the Windows XP default CPLs are listed below. Depending upon the Service Pack level of your system, some CPLs may not exist:
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/cpicon.htm

/edit -- Now that I look at the error message, it gives you the name and location of the .cpl file. Delete the sucker.

If that's the old desk top weather:

13. How do I remove Desktop weather from my desktop?

To remove or uninstall Desktop Weather from your computer, click on "Start" - "Programs" - "The Weather Channel" - "Desktop Weather". Then click on the Uninstall program. Follow the prompts to remove Desktop Weather.

You may also remove the application by clicking on "Start", followed by "Settings", then "Control Panel." Then click on "Add/Remove Programs." From the list, select "The Weather Channel," and then click on "Add/Remove." Follow the prompts to uninstall the application.

To remove Weather Services from your PC, you click on "Start" - "Settings" - "Control Panel". Double click on the "Desktop Weather" weather services icon, then click on the "Uninstall Weather Services" button. This should remove any remaining elements from your system.

14. I seem to be unable to uninstall Desktop Weather from my computer. What can I do?

This is a known issue with the product, and will be resolved in a forthcoming release. Copying the UNWISE.EXE from the Framework folder to the Desktop Weather folder will resolve this issue. The steps are as followed:

1. Go to Start, Programs, Accessories, Windows Explorer.
    2. In the left scroll window of Windows Explorer click the + next to My Computer, then click on the + next to C: drive to expand the view.
    3. Scroll down that menu until you find the Program Files Folder.
    4. Double click on the Program Files folder to expand the view.
    5. Scroll down that menu to The Weather Channel FW folder and double click on it to expand the view.
    6. Double click on the Framework folder to display the contents.
    7. Right mouse click on the icon that says "UNWISE.EXE" on the pop-up menu click on COPY.
    8. Go to the tool bar on the window and click the Back button.
    9. In that window right mouse click on the "Desktop Weather" folder and in the pop-up menu click on PASTE.

From that point you will be able to proceed as normal with the uninstall.

Source
    Connection refused, try again later.

relyt, i had previously tried your suggestion and apparently i have a newer version so it wont work. I dont think i want to format my drive, its just an annoying icon lol but i will try the other suggestions and keep yall posted on whats going on. thanx alot.

edit/ I tried Hes, suggestion and it worked the icon,program and all registry keys are history thanx alot.
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

Glad to hear you got-r-dun. The info I had came from the weatherman and of course they never lie or are accurate

have a great day

cheers
    Connection refused, try again later.