Thread: older motherboards

older motherboards

I have several older system boards, and they all were running windows 95. I want to run some sort of Linux kernel on them and am looking for suggestions or experience from someone out there...The only other OS I've tried is RedHat9. The exact error message I got was: badly broken BIOS...anyway is there a stable minimal size (these boards only have 64 meg ram on penti 1s and 2s) version of Linux any one has tried???

64mb of memory is plenty for what you have in mind. If you want to go really small, there are a multitude of distributions available. Actually too many to list. Enter "small linux distributons" into your favorite internet search engine and you'll find more than you can imagine.

Also there are small versions that run off floppies and other live versions as well. So really the size of your hdd will dictate which way you go. P1's & 2's will do fine. I use a 500mhz box with 64mb for a firewall with IPCOP and Smoothwall. All they are, are stripped down versions of linux employing IPTables. And I might add that you can build your own from the kernel up. That's a fun project as well.

You can reduce the packages during install on most distros so you only spend about 200-400 mb on the hard drives. But don't expect lipstick and makeup. You'll only get the bare necessities.

But anywho, the resources are out there.

cheers
    Connection refused, try again later.

I have several older system boards, and they all were running windows 95
    Do you have any cases for them?..............if they are AT as opposed to ATX, then you might have a problem?

Originally posted here by nihil
    Do you have any cases for them?..............if they are AT as opposed to ATX, then you might have a problem?

ummm, older power supplies, different cables etc.,
    Connection refused, try again later.

Well my actual intention is to network 2 linux boxes with an XP box for learning and experimentation purposes...you see i am BROKE!!! But i have lots of old parts, so i am goin to do a poormans setup...anymore suggestions having said that??? thanks