Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Copying System Files

Copying System Files

how do i copy files in the 'windows\system32\config' folder in windows xp???? to some other folder????
    is possible to do it in dos even if i dont have administrator rights????

is possible to do it in dos even if i dont have administrator rights????
    Not usually if the disk is formatted using NTFS instead of Fat32.

Can it be done?

Yes.

Anything can be done if you have physical access to the box.

But a smart admin will make it very difficult, a very smart admin will be able to track when and where such an attempt was made.

So why are you asking if you don't have admin rights to the box?

And why is it your previous posts attempt to garner information relating to some type of black hat hacking?

My opinion is:

If you want this type info, go work for it ( ie. research it yourself ) rather then keep coming here for quick answers. You'll not only learn more, but learn more respect for the intricacies and eccentricities of computers, Operating Systems, Networks, etc.

Even if you ultimately use your self-gained knowledge for immoral applications at the very least you will be proficient in your application of such knowledge, for you have learned rather then just copied .
    " And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be" --Miguel Cervantes

AOs Resident Troll
    As front2back stated...ooops Iknownot stated

Why would you need to copy system files ..if you dont have admin privledges??

Use the recovery console ....then you can do it

You need to be admin though

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

AO's MMA Fanatic! Computernerd22's Avatar
    If you are running FAT32 file system on a Windows XP system, then I would recommend taking advantage of NTFS a command syntax can covert it:

Start, run, type: cmd at command prompt enter (don't type driver letter)

convert drive letter: /fs:ntfs

convert c: /fs:ntfs

converting c: file system to NTFS. It's going to prompt you for volume label for drive.

when done close prompt. reboot PC. Next use EFS on NTFS.

how do i copy files in the 'windows\system32\config' folder in windows xp???? to some other folder????
    Very simple. First navigate to c:\windows\system32\config folder and open it.

Easiest way start run, type: c:double click on WINDOWS, go to SYSTEM32 folder, then config folder, open folder There are 15 visual to the eyes, BUT their are 7 hidden Which have to be enabled to viewing hidden files in folder options in the control panel.

then cut and paste and drop were ever pleased. Throw them on cd.

As front2back stated
    Cough cough don't you mean as IKNOWNOT stated..

There is a way to perform this task, but it's very unlikely that i will share this information with you, unless you can convince me that you have physical access to this computer, and that you Do know the administrator account psswrd because it IS your computer.
    Until such time i think that you will have better luck performing a rather percise google search.

cheers
    front2back

AOs Resident Troll
    Cough cough don't you mean as IKNOWNOT stated..
    OOOPS...

Havent had enough coffee yet.....

Off to the coffee machine as we speak

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

if you can need to copy files like SYSTEM or SOFTWARE from folder config.
    so it best way is to use some backup program, like ERUNT
    this can backup/copy to some other dir and also to restore them

...rights??? is your limit !.!
    // too far away outside of limit

Yes, you can (ask your administrator to) add the non-administrator account to (as a member of) the Backup Operators group. If it sounds impossible to you, chances are you're not supposed to be able to copy system files.

Note:
    - Description of "Backup Operators" = "Backup Operators can override security restrictions for the sole purpose of backing up or restoring files"
    - Default value of "Local Security Settings --> Local Policies --> User Rights Assignment --> Backup files and directories" = "Administrators, Backup Operators"

Peace always,
    <jdenny>
    Always listen to experts. They\'ll tell you what can\'t be done and why. Then go and do it. -- Robert Heinlein
    I\'m basically a very lazy person who likes to get credit for things other people actually do. -- Linus Torvalds

when i try to copy sam file in MY comp to some other folder it says 'file in use' what do i do then.......i do have admn rights in this case

well i'm in a college and am in the website developmwnt team. i have also been given the rasponsibility of restoring the passwords of some "hijacked" computers!!!! you see the administrative passworsa hwve been changed by some some unkwon students. the only way i could figure out was to copy sam file and other files and then run brute force on it to get the password..... can anyone help me out here?????