Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shredding Files

I vote for fire, that'd do the trick. Make sure you use a magnesium fire starter though.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

Frustrated Mad Scientist
    Still makes me LOL. Dusting the PC with butane...

How about taking the case off the HDD, hooking 2 cables from a car battery and zapping that data to never-never land ? I suppose if you really wanted to go crazy you could do that, then repeat for drive circuts. Followed by your run of the mill sledge-hammer (that is how the military base that I did a big HDD replacement does it) then maybe d0pp's fun solution.
    The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool - Good Ole Bill Shakespeare

Lets not leave out the colegic sport platter frisbee. What better way to spend your afternoon than with friends, beer, and a few hdd platters in the park playing frisbee. If you get good enough you can also upgrade to platter frisbee golf. If you do either, however, you need to be good enough with a normal frisbee since a frisbee to the head is annoying and maybe band-aid worthy, while a platter to the head wins you a trip to the hospital, or if you hit the double down you may be able to skip the hospital and go directly to the morgue, without passing go OR collecting your $200.
    \"He who shall introduce into public affairs the principles of primitive Christianity will change the face of the world.\"
    Benjamin Franklin

Hoopy Frood
    If you REALLY want the data gone that badly...
    Use DBAN to write random garbage over the drive 30+ times.
    Break open the drive and get a belt sander and sand the platters down until they're nothing more than powder. Scatter powder liberally while driving through town. Make wager to NSA that they can't get data off of it. (Wager is more interesting if the stakes are life in prison or getting away scott free. )

- James
    "Personality is only ripe when a man has made the truth his own."

-- Søren Kierkegaard

Like Striek and Deeboe said, DBAN and Eraser are great programs for what you want to do. I recommend them both. Eraser for individual files and DBAN for a HDD.
    empty space for sale... never been used... very roomy.

Banned
    You could use a magnet...heh but I'm not sure how usable the hard drive would be after that
    ROFL

i have always been told that software shredders are very bad for your hard drive.

Hoopy Frood
    Originally posted here by karmine
    ROFL

i have always been told that software shredders are very bad for your hard drive.
    No worse than writing several times to those areas of your hard drive that the shredder writes to, which is all the shredder does, in fact. So yes, it causes more use, but it's fairly insignificant.

- Xierox
    "Personality is only ripe when a man has made the truth his own."

-- Søren Kierkegaard