Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: building from scratch.

Arrow building from scratch.

Keeping it short and sweet.
    I'm going to be building a computer from scratch. The budget is $5,000 dollars.
    the rest is up to you folks. So what am i buying..?

Holy crap... thats a hell of a budget. What are you going to use it for?
    Personal home computer? Workstation? Server? Gaming machine? All of the above?
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

********** |ceWriterguy
    hmmm triple processors with uber ram and God's own video and sound all tucked nicely away in a roll-away cabinet... :P~~~~~~~~~
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

Originally posted here by phishphreek80
    Holy crap... thats a hell of a budget. What are you going to use it for?
    Personal home computer? Workstation? Server? Gaming machine? All of the above?
    Would prefer it to be a Gaming Machine.

AOs Resident Troll
    Dual processors,

scsi raid array

redundant power supply

REALLY nice video card and monitor (sorry not a gamer...but I am sure someone can recommend one)

Min 2 gig RAM

Really nice desk\cabinet to put it in\on

MLF

You can buy a nice low end server from dell that would be affordable...dont think you can match it ...even if you build yourself

edit> nice stable OS
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Originally posted here by morganlefay
    scsi raid array
    SCSI??? Naw..... not worth it .... Since there's so much money going around, I guess it's a good way to waste the money... but meh..

I'd suggest the Seagate NL-35 Series (Near Line Drives rated for 1Million Hours before Failure).. SATA II and in 250GB and 400GB Models.... Three of those (either size) in RAID 5 gives you the performance increase and also the safety net in case of a drive failure. I've got three of them sitting in my office about to be installed... Very nice drives... I've got the Adaptec 2410SA controller to go with them.... It was cheaper and easily available... I'd recommend one of the 3Ware 9000 series controllers though... very nice cards.

As for your processor... go with this http://www.hothardware.com/printarti...?articleid=682

Athlon 64 X2 4800+.... Essentially 2 4000+ processors.

Anyways.. I can't wait to hear the results of your shopping spree

Peace,
    HT

Well, I make my own PCs to save money. But with your budget... why not just have it done for you?

Check out this monster...
    http://www.alienware.com/ALX_pages/aurora_alx.aspx

Can you say "SWEEEEETTTT!!!!!111111oneoneone"?
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar
    http://www.cyberpowersystem.com/

Thats where I got my new computer, it was really easy and cheaper than I thought. They let you configure it the way you want it ( i.e. they give you a list of components going from cheapest to expensive, you pick the ones you want and they build it for you and ship it to you)
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

AOs Resident Troll
    HT

MHO...seeing the budget

SCSIs are fast and reliable....

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Originally posted here by morganlefay
    HT

MHO...seeing the budget

SCSIs are fast and reliable....

MLF
    Everyone's entitled to their opinion

We've got over a TB of storage in our Apt... my buddy has nearly that much himself... SCSI drives may be fast and reliable... but they aren't the biggest drives in the world... that's where I'd be concerned... You'd need a lot 2 - 4x as many to compare to the storage of those NL35's... I guess it's a matter of preference...

I'd usually say SCSI in a server (although I picked those NL-35s for our Fileserver (again storage per device was factored in)... as was price)... but for the desktop I don't think their realistic...

I guess it's f2b's choice in the end hehe

Peace,
    HT