Thread: Mouse Question

Mouse Question

When I was responding to Agent_Steals thread my mouse froze...not the first time this has happened...the other times ( and this time ) it happened I used the keyboard to shut down...and when I start back up the problem is fixed...until the next time...

it's probably happened 3-4 times in the last year...so it's not something that happens all the time...but it is annoying...because it usually happens when you're doing something and then you've got to start all over

I was just wondering what you guys do if this happens to you...do you have some kind of way to get it back working without having to shut down???

Eg

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar
    do you have an optical mouse or a ball one? is it usb or ps2?
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

Re: Mouse Question

Originally posted here by Egaladeist
    When I was responding to Agent_Steals thread my mouse froze...

Eg
    Turn up the heat, ya cheap bugger ! But the microwave will do in a pinch . . .

Seriously, I would go for uninstall/re-install to start. Start -- Control Panel -- System -- Hardware -- Device Manager -- Mice and Other Pointing devices -- right click, uninstall. Then restart. The driver will re-install itself on start up.

Hi Hesperus...long time no see...you're right on the money...the only heat that I have on is the livingroom and the kids room

Hi The Texan...it's just a plug in and use...Walmart, a Millennium I think.

Eg

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar
    Eg, have u considered that since your mouse is ps2 one of the little pins on the connector end could be bent and causing problems? you might want to check that... you should also take hes's suggestion and do a reinstall. Eg, your on XP pro right?
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

hi The Texan,

Nope...the pins are fine...and I'm on Windows 2000 pro...so I didn't take hesp's advice...
    opps...he edited
    anyways...it didn't seem like he was sure if it was OK to do on Win2000.

Eg

Sorry about that. I should have taken a second to check for sure before I posted, but windows 2000 will automatically detect your mouse. Was pretty sure it would but I have never used it before. 2 seconds of googling confirmed.

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Uninstalling the mouse will put the same driver back in place..... Kind of a fruitless exercise if the driver is the issue..... Go to the manufacturer's site and see if there is a more recent driver. D/L it and use the "Update Driver" facility to put it in place. Then if it continues to freeze you have at least eliminated the driver as the sole cause.
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides