Microsoft Licensing Question

Thread: Microsoft Licensing Question

Microsoft Licensing Question

Hey Hey,

I talked to a few colleagues that I rely on for support and none of them had an answer, so I thought I'd throw it up here..

I'm currently running SBS 2000. We've got 15 CALs for it which just covers us.... but we're staying legit at least... Now I just got in the Microsoft Action Pack... A Subscription to most of Microsoft's Operating Systems and Servers. Included in it is SBS 2003 Premium... Which is the version that allows you to upgrade from SBS 2000 to SBS 2003 (something you normally can't do)... Now the SBS 2003, like most MS products only came with 5 CALs...

Basically my question is this...Will my SBS 2000 CALs transfer because I'm doing an upgrade or do I need new ones... Or even more appropriate... when exactly do you need a CAL?... I've learned all about how to use the Operating Systems... but no one really ever explains to you the ins and outs of the CALs and Licensing in general... and Microsofts site doesn't really have a good explanation. I'd call them, but I figure all they'll say is buy... (it means more money for them).

Peace,
    HT
    IT Blog: .:Computer Defense:.
    PnCHd (Pronounced Pinched): Acronym - Point 'n Click Hacked. As in: "That website was pinched" or "The skiddie pinched my computer because I forgot to patch".

AOs Resident Troll
    (something you normally can't do)
    I just upgraded a SBS 2000 to SBS 2003??? and last year an SBS 4.5 to SBS 2003

Depends on the license...open\retail or OEM. OEM you have to stick to the same hardware....personally...I never go OEM with servers

As for the cals...you can buy upgrade cals...again depending on your existing licensing.

Call MS...they are actually very helpful with licensing as I find with retailers...they know nothing about it usually quote the wrong product. Get the MS product ID when speaking with MS...that way you can ensure you are getting the right product....

IMHO...skip the "assurance"

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Originally posted here by morganlefay
    I just upgraded a SBS 2000 to SBS 2003??? and last year an SBS 4.5 to SBS 2003

Depends on the license...open\retail or OEM. OEM you have to stick to the same hardware....personally...I never go OEM with servers

As for the cals...you can buy upgrade cals...again depending on your existing licensing.

Call MS...they are actually very helpful with licensing as I find with retailers...they know nothing about it usually quote the wrong product. Get the MS product ID when speaking with MS...that way you can ensure you are getting the right product....

IMHO...skip the "assurance"

MLF
    Thanks for the info..

The something you can't normally do was because you have to use SBS 2003 Premium.. You can't do it with standard which is what most people end up selling you.... I've had two resellers I deal with now tell me that I can't upgrade SBS 2000 to 2003..

Thanks again.

Peace,
    HT
    IT Blog: .:Computer Defense:.
    PnCHd (Pronounced Pinched): Acronym - Point 'n Click Hacked. As in: "That website was pinched" or "The skiddie pinched my computer because I forgot to patch".

AOs Resident Troll
    The resellers dont know what they are talking about...cause I just did this...yes I did have to get premium...which was cheaper then buying the license new...even though they dont use MSSQL...they have it.

I called ms..got the skus then called the reseller

From DELL Canada (cdn $$$$)

SBS PREMIUM 2003 W SP1-5 CLT VUP CD (A0510645) $748.00
    MLF WIN SMALL BUSINESS SVR PRE CROM (A0209420) $33.00
    UP WIN SMALL BUSINESS SVR CAL CROM (A0256391) $228.00

This was from an open license SBS 2000.

Hope this helps some way

SBS 2003 is really sweet..stable and a treat to admin

SP1 for SBS 2003 comes with ISA 2004

MLF

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    MLF WIN
    That explain why she could upgrade it..... She has her own version of Windows..... Can we say "priviledged"?
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

AOs Resident Troll
    SHHHH

Thats sposed to be a secret

MLF

HT..one more thing...there is a Swing migration kit..that one of the SBS MVPs Jeff Middleton developed...it is a tool to upgrade to new hardware...keeping all domain\netbios stuff the same on the new server...if needed.

Google sbs swing migration.