Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: eTrust EZ AntiVirus.

eTrust EZ AntiVirus.

I found via Microsoft Security Center the CA "eTrust EZ AntiVirus" program, that one can download and use 12 months for free .

It also comes with firewall, that seems to be ZoneAlarm.

It allready found a key logger on my system.

The GUI seems very sipple and a little out of date, and it does not log into eventlog, but rather into text files...

Any one know if "eTrust EZ AV" is good or bad?
    I did not do it.

AO French Antique News Whore
    I personally use eTrust EZ AntiVirus from M$ and I love it. It only takes 6 MG in memory and it does the job for virus.

But it really depend what kind of protection you want for virus. eTrust EZ AntiVirus is very basic. It's an AV scanner and nothing else. That why I personally like it. I don't want anti-script, anti-spam plug-in and etc that eat memory for nothing. If you want to software to protect your computer from everything, eTrust is not for you. But if you can add eTrust into your personal protection suite, it's good software
    -Simon \"SDK\"

I used the EZ antivirus for some time, but went away from it when the update weren't coming through. Now that might have been just a problem with my installation and not theirs.

Since then I have found and use avast as my antivirus program, and am quite happy with it, although like SDK says it does use more resourses......but I have them, so why not use them also.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

I have used it for about 15 months................then they said I must pay................so I uninstalled it and went to AVG 7

Hey Hey,

Anything by CA is pure ****... eTrust is no exception... The best it can do is provide a false sense of security.. You'd have more protection if you installed Norton 2001 and didn't update the defs... We have it at work and it's awful... it was purchased because it was cheaper than everything else, and because of other corporate reasons... (some people will know what I mean)... We have more virus infections that we've ever had.... We provide it free of charge to all residence students, but also give them the option of downloading AVG 7... The ones that go with eTrust always end up with more viruses.... It's pure crap to put it lightly.

Peace,
    HT

HI !

I've been selling the eTrust suite of crap into companies for years,
    I gotta agree with HTRegz it truly is the worse kind of ****.
    Its very prone to locking up after scanning compressed files.

Whatever you do BIN IT and start again Eval Trend Micro PCCillin for 30 days or grab AVG for free forever, perhaps with a helping of Sygate or Outpost sprinkled on the top!

Go to Trend Micro's Web Site right away and do a Housecall because guaranteed EZ AntiVirus has let through more viruses than a split condom.

Love and Peace

Vice
    I remember when Nihil was ickle. Does that mean I'm old?

Thx for your imput. Guess I need to get a new virscan then...
    I did not do it.

The firewall element is indeed, a cut down version of ZoneAlarm. What I did was load the free version of ZoneAlarm FIRST, then e-Trust...........It spotted the ZoneAlarm and just loaded its AV part. That way you get full ZoneAlarm and the AV.

VicE$DoS$ is right, it does tend to have a problem with compressed files above a certain size. I did not find that it actually locked/froze but it could take 5-10 minutes to scan a single file.

I also found that it was no good at interactively detecting stuff loading itself into internet temporary files or the Java cache (although in a production environment I would normally disable that anyway)..........AVG was much better.

On the other hand E-Trust was better than AVG at detecting trojans. I also reported stuff that was deactivated, which AVG did not..........althoug AVG would go ballistic if you converted a virus from .txt to .exe or .com

Given the choice between the two, I would probably go for AVG, and run PC-Cillin or Panda's on line scanner on a weekly basis.

Just my thoughts...........It was AVG 6.0 I used, by the way.

i hate to break it to u guys but if u want the best virus protection i suggest using mcafee anti virus and set the default settings to the highest security scanning there is on that program to help protect u and everything u do on ur computer and while ur online... dont use zone alarm for a firewall, there are too many backdoors open with zone alarm that cant be detected by the program itself... u would never dream of how many hacker could get through zone alarm and break into ur computers with it... if u want a really good firewall i would suggest black ice for instance... theres another firewall i would say to use but cant remember the name of it at this time... hope u guys understand where im coming from with my security analyzing skills with detecting flaws in computer and internet security... take care

What about the new CA Protection Suites r2

Hi guys...now I'm worried...I'm planing to start distributing the new CA Protection Suites r2 this January...are those comments and flaws valid for this new release?
    Does someone out there, that uses the new CA Release 2.0, have any information or bad experience?

Please help me here...