Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Intelligent worm 'chats' to IM users

Hi,

Saw this same thing on the BBC News site, goes into a little more depth (but not much)

Although there have been malicious bots around for some time instant messaging, security firm IMLogic believes that this is the first time someone has tried to use bot code to help spread a worm around an IM network by pretending to be a legitimate user.

The first sign of attack is a message that appears to come from a contact, offering you a file to download. If you respond then the wormbot tries to persuade you to save the file, and it will even say "lol no its not a virus" (sic) if you ask about the possibility of infection.

If you do open the file then your security software is disabled, a backdoor is installed and the worm will start trying to reach the people on your personal buddy list. So far it does not seem to do any more damage, or steal any sensitive information.
    Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4520766.stm

Matt
    www.simpleits.co.uk
    www.tazforum.**********.com
    Google is god ....... of the Internet

BANNED
    I thought she wanted to be my girlfriend. And when she sent me her picture it broke my heart.
    When death sleeps it dreams of you...

I could post some naked pics of Paris Hilton...
    Never mind the EXE file extension.
    No its not a virus LOL
    What are you doing dave?
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

Intelligent worm 'chats' to IM users
    Must have been a one-sided conversation!

Not too many sentient beings on IM.

Connection refused, try again later.

Some Assembly Required ShagDevil's Avatar
    Yeah, I ran across one of these IM worms. I was IM'd with the message
    "I have a patch that will stop your computer from EVER getting infected again, download here".
    So I downloaded it and *poof*, it worked! It downgraded all my rights/privilages to guest, disabled all network connections, disabled the keyboard, disabled the mouse, deleted the win.ini and registry, shorted out the motherboard, and fried the hardrive.

Seriously though, it's ashame people still fall prey to these types of attacks. While I agree that people who IM can be somewhat uneducated, they may not be neccessaily ignorant. Technology isn't helping much either. Free Hot Spots are popping up all over the place without much concern over *who* will be using them and for what purpose. I don't think the security end of the industry is promoting themselves adequately (some of my buddies *just recently* heard of firewalls). In any event, I always loved this saying "If all people were angels, we wouldn't need a government". That's my input anyways.
    The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his - George Patton

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    I could post some naked pics of Paris Hilton...

send 'em to me ..............

WTF

where's everyone gone ?

HELLO .......................

ah well, I've always remember Paris .........

WTF
    where's my goddamned pix :aaaarrghhh:
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

foxy if you were serious and have not seen them. I attached a few i had in my e-mail.