Thread: "NTLDR is Missing"

"NTLDR is Missing"

Hello all-

We are working on cleaning up a XP OS based laptop using Disk Cleanup, Eraser and Disk Defrag. Somewhere along the line we rebooted and now are getting "NTLDR is Missing" We have tried:

1. Tried creating a bootdisk
    2. Tried bringing over another NTLDR from another same type OS and hardware machine
    3. Tried everything in the MS Knowledge Base article: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=320397 - except contacting MS at this point - as it would cost more bling

Any other ideas before we try and contact our support or MS?

Specs:
    IBM T41
    Windows XP

Thanks!
    \"We\'re the middle children of history.... no purpose or place. We have no Great War, no Great Depression. Our great war is a spiritual war. Our great depression is our lives. We\'ve all been raised by television to believe that one day we\'ll all be millionaires and movie gods and rock stars -- but we won\'t. And we\'re learning slowly that fact. And we\'re very, very pissed off.\" - Tyler (Brad Pitt) Fight Club.

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    what age is the PC ?
    was it used heavily ?

possibility of HDD failing
    have you tried to run any HDD check tools ?
    try these links ..............

ntldr tips

repair ntldr
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

AOs Resident Troll
    I Think foxy pinned it...

I have seen this with harddrives failing...

Have you tried a repair of XP??

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Have you tried defragmenting the drive?
    Don't punch me, I'm serious.
    Also, look at this :
    http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.c...1157288&page=1
    Definitions: Hacker vs. Cracker
    Gentoo Linux user, which probably says a lot about me..
    AGA member 14460 || KGS : Trevoke and games archived

Get this bootdisk from www.bootdisk.com : http://www.mbhs.edu/~jaosborn/boot98se.exe
    Make it into a bootable floppy and boot from that floppy.

Once you see the prompt, go to your OS-drive (assumed C:\ ) and type this at the C:\>

Code:
    fdisk /mbr
    Mostly this error comes from a corrupted master boot record. With this error you remake the MBR,
    mostly also fixing this error.

Hope this helps.

Apologies - we got wrapped up here with some work and trying to troubleshoot. I will reply to your questions/suggestions:

----------------------------------------
    foxey
    what age is the PC ?
    was it used heavily ?

possibility of HDD failing
    have you tried to run any HDD check tools ?
    try these links ..............
    1. PC Age: 2 years
    2. Yes - one of our pen testing machines
    3. We will be trying the links you provided - thanks! My colleague is on the horn right now with MS trying to get the bc2update thang.

------------------------------------
    morganlefay

Have you tried a repair of XP??
    1. We were trying everything MS recommended - including now calling them for an update. My colleague wants to keep troubleshooting - I am voting to shoot the thing in the head, figuratively, with a new image... but we would have to reload all of our "evil" tools we use.

-------------------------------------
    trevoke

Have you tried defragmenting the drive?
    Yep. We did 1) Disk clean 2) Defrag - 2x then tried 3) Eraser to free up "unused diskspace" - we found out that Eraser created a plethora of files in a tmp directory of about 13GB for some reason.

-------------------------------------
    Raiden

Bootdisk - yep we were going to try that, however the IBM T41 does not come with a floppy... so we created a boot CD to get us by. Since my original post, we have found the NTLDR file, but the system won't recognize it from the harddrive - it will off of our boot CD - weird. Also - we tried an fdisk - and it failed - but I forgot to write down the error - my brain fell outta me noggin.

--------------------------------------

Ok - we are going to try out the links you all supplied, where applicable against the work we have already done and try and get that update file from MS. I will update when I have something.

Thanks much to everyone for the advice! We appreciate the help!

I have supplied this site before, but it's good fun and stress break after using your brains throughout the day: http://www.lardlad.com

UPDATE: We just got and loaded bcupdate2 from what looks to be a good utilities site:

http://www.protostorm.com/utils.html

Looks like we are up and running - although the fdisk thing is a bit concerning - or is it? Did they make XP work like that?

Also - the call to MS did not cost anything... but we were on hold a lot, and that pissed us off, so we found the site mentioned above and (hopefully) got it fixed - looks like it.

Thanks again all!
    \"We\'re the middle children of history.... no purpose or place. We have no Great War, no Great Depression. Our great war is a spiritual war. Our great depression is our lives. We\'ve all been raised by television to believe that one day we\'ll all be millionaires and movie gods and rock stars -- but we won\'t. And we\'re learning slowly that fact. And we\'re very, very pissed off.\" - Tyler (Brad Pitt) Fight Club.

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    13 GB of file 'fragments' ??
    sounds like the HDD is fritzed, or at least it is failing.
    do you have a spare HDD to fit, to load up XP to try out the box ?
    or swap out a HDD from another unit to prove the BIOS is OK .......
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

if there is a suspect of hdd corruption.. give this a try
    HDD Regenerator current version is above 1.41..

have used it to get machines working.. seen an unexplainable number of machines with a single bad sector in the first 5MB of the HDD.. interesting 99% of the machines with this issue had a crap load of malware.. ..

cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Hey Hey,

I haven't seen this posted yet so here's a few more of the basics..

Boot the XP CD

--> Recovery Console
    --> fixboot
    --> fixmbr

or

Boot the XP CD

--> Repair Install

Both of those should stand to fix it for ya.

Peace,
    HT