booting linux

Thread: booting linux

booting linux

ok, this is driving me insane. i need to be able to boot linux off of a floppy to install, but i want to be able to install off of a cdrom.

i could get it to work with red hat 7 but its so old (and im so nubish) that i couldnt get my NIC to work. i would like a newer distro anyway.

so i found out that debian has floppy boot images so i downloaded and made myself a boot disk. but im not sure what options to send to the boot disk to make it load off of the disk. the manual for debian said i could boot from floppy and install from cd but it didnt say how (at least i couldnt find it)

i also have lilo already installed if that helps

so heres the questions:
    1) can i use lilo to boot my cdrom?
    2) can i use the floppy to boot off the cdrom?
    any help would be great, thnx -Godsrock37
    if God was willing to live all out for us, why aren't we willing to live all out for Him? God bless,
    Godsrock37
    my home my forum

Not sure if this still works but in old versions of Mandrake, you could use the boot floppy to start the system up, and then pop in the CD-ROM to let it take over.

Not sure why you're doing this the hard way, can't you just boot from a CD-ROM? If you can't you should be able to set it up in the BIOS and telling it to use cdrom as one of the boot options.

Just make sure you tell it to use the Floppy and CD drive BEFORE the HD. Like in my BIOS of one of my machines I set the thing to boot from CD-ROM, then Floppy, then the HD.

no ive installed a few different distros before (gentoo, slackware, and some others) but the machine im installing on now is so old the BIOS doesnt support cdrom boot (really annoyed when i found that out). it only supports floppy boot. thnx though
    btw- i read your sticky on what linux distro to use, i liked it a lot, ill have to try out suse sometime, one of the few major ones i havent tried yet. While we're talking about linux, i heard slackware was good to become an experienced user on, any good manuals (packages of manuals, etc.) or other good sources to learn from?
    if God was willing to live all out for us, why aren't we willing to live all out for Him? God bless,
    Godsrock37
    my home my forum

Well if you want to give Slackware a try, it's not so much that it's hard to use, but there aren't any tools for some things peopel take for granted. Like when you set up X, you use xorg.conf instead of a tool and edit it by hand. It's not hard but most people haven't done that.

And for downloading updates, unless you install something like Swaret or SlackPKG, you use wget and grab them by hand and use upgradepkg to install patches.

And there isn't a firewall script so to speak, you use IPtables unless you download an install something.

They do however have a nice book called "Slackware Essentials" that you can buy from the store or read online. That's your best bet there. For SUSE you're going to want to just buy a boxed productas you'll get manuals and things to help you out.