Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Computer Problem..

In utter and endless vanity. Humbleness, oh how I miss thee.

Exclamation Computer Problem..

Hi everyone, this is my first post and I hope it not to be my last. I've been reading through some of the posts but the shear number of them all is kinda overwhelming. I hope to learn much, much more about the ways of fully understanding my computer and all others. As of now, my computer has been mainly used for gaming... Yet, surfing the web has prooved to be hazardous. I'm not sure if this is just a virus or a minor glitch that appeared. Not certain of the exact date it started or if any of you can help me but here is my problem:

When I hit crt alt delete there is a message appears saying: "Task manager has been disabled by your administrator." Being that I am the only one who uses this computer and that I am the administrator I don't know how this happened. Could someone help me out? I have an E-Machines W2040 computer with Windows XP and I've run AVG and it has found nothing. If someone could tell me how to reactivate my task manager it would be most appreciated.

Thank you for you time.

Godly Soup

Hi Godly Soup and welcome to AntiOnline.!

Anyhow this should hopefully help you with your problem.

Click Start, Run and type this command exactly as given below: (better - Copy and paste)
    Code:
    REG add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System /v DisableTaskMgr /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
    I hope this helps you with your problem.

cheers
    front2back

What are you using for online browsing, IE?

Get these, update them and run them in safe mode

I would suggest that you do this on a regular basis, like once per week.

http://www.ewido.net/en/
    http://www.emsisoft/en/software/free/

EWIDO has a 14 day trial of its interactive protection but you can continue to update it and run it "on demand" after that (for free)...........A-Squared is free

So is this:

http://www.diamondcs.com.au/index.php?page=regprot

It will protect your registry. You will get some warnings when you first install it, these are OK if you have already cleaned your machine. It will also warn when you update or install new software, just say OK..........................what you watch for are changes that you did not instigate

Good luck

********** |ceWriterguy
    greetings and welcome soupy. Front2Back and Nihil have it pegged.
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

Wow, that really worked. I can use task manager again w00t! Thanks guys. How did you know that though? That specific code to get it to work? Just wondering... And I'm going to check out those sites right away. Thanks again.

********** |ceWriterguy
    it's the senior member decoder ring...really it is..
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

front2back is ub3r 1337, eather that or hes seen it before, or googled it. Dont discount the 1337 tho.
    meh. -ech0.

I wanna ring like that... lol. Those sites you gave me really worked too. I had over 200 malware things on my computer and that really freaked me out. I have IE by the way.. forgot to answer that question.

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    the level playing field
    follow the link to a [my ] tut on basic PC hygiene, follow it to give you the chance to keep your PC as YOUR PC

and the green was from me for the feedback, and for sympathy
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone