Thread: Charity Hacked and Card details stolen!

Charity Hacked and Card details stolen!

Hi,

I've just been watching the news and couldn't believe the apparent complacancy of the head of the charity.

Basically the charity site has been hacked, 2800 card details stolen and £100,000 stolen from those people, and this is what the head had to say:

"We had encryption that they shouldn't have been able to break"

hmmm, ok, heres the best bit:

"we had the padlock symbol in the browser"

Wow, geez you must be secure.

I gotta say in his defence he probably isn't techie minded, but seriously in a 3 line statement on national TV, surely you talk to someone who knows something so as not to look like a total ass.

Man some things just make me cringe, those poor people who thought they were doing good donating.....

Matt

Edit:
    oh yeah if i see an article or anyone else does please post it.
    www.simpleits.co.uk
    www.tazforum.**********.com
    Google is god ....... of the Internet

This is likely it, though it doesn't give the details you mention.

http://news.com.com/Hackers+grab+don...1361&subj=news

BIOS Bomber
    kind of reminds me of a situation from the movie hackers
    "When in doubt, use Brute Force."

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

The pure Ignorance of this is simply amusing, how could some one be so ignorant about the fact that because of there lack of security customer's information is been sold of to the highest bidder some where..

Thank's
    *™*

Yeah,

That as you say the people who run the charity seem to be so ignorant of web security it would be laughable if well intentioned people hadn't been stung. The bit that made me laugh wasn't just his comments, but the fact that he's talking about the security of making a donation, which was probably very secure, and has not seemed to realize that these card details will have been taken from the database using techniques that are completely seperate from the making a donation security issue.

Its just one of those cases where the people in charge are so far off the mark they can't even see it anymore. I even wonder if they believed they were safe as they were a charity and of course, noone would hack a charity, would they...
    www.simpleits.co.uk

BIOS Bomber
    uh yea they most likely would theres those kind of people out there.

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

Hi Mandraketux,

not sure if its me reading your post wrongly on a friday morning, but my last line was meant to sound sarcastic, of course there are people out there who will steal from a charity. What i was trying to say was the people in charge seemed so oblivious to security needs that it wouldn't surprise me if THEY believed they were safe becuase they were a charity.

Oh hang on a minute, just re read and now i'm not sure if you were agreeing saying yes they the charity most likely would...

I think i should go get some caffeine in me before i start thinking...

Matt
    www.simpleits.co.uk

BIOS Bomber
    heh same i dont remember anything or what time it was. yea thats pretty bad for both of us.