Thread: Lavasoft Releases Sony Rootkit Fix

Lavasoft Releases Sony Rootkit Fix

In 2005, Sony included rootkit style content protection software to approximately 4.7 million CDs of over 50 artists worldwide exposing consumer PCs to security holes. The DRM (Digital Rights Management) software called XCP, developed by First4Internet, was placed. According to Sony, about six million CDs currently have this software.

Lavasoft answers the challenge by giving you the Beta of the ARIES Rootkit Remover (Sony Rootkit), which aims to remove the Sony Rootkit for good. Currently a standalone tool, this application provides a reliable, trustworthy, and safe way of removing the root-kit, unlike Sony's own root-kit remover that has been known to cause blue screens.
    http://www.lavasoftresearch.com/betaprogram/rootkit.php

Maybe we can expect a fully functional rootkit scanner before long ?

Looks like it's heading in that direction......nice to see the creators of Adaware SE getting on board to help get rid of this crap....
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson

I believe I read in another post here on AO about a beta rootkit detector by F-Secure called Blacklight. Its free at the moment. http://www.f-secure.com/blacklight
    It's gotten some decent reviews on other forums. Have no idea if it detects/removes the Sony Root kit though. Anyone try?
    %42%75%75%75%75%72%70%21%00

Banned
    Has anyone ever tried the Rootkit Revealer from SystemInternals?

It was basically Mark from SysInternals that found out about Sony's little Rootkit (story)

Yes, but it just indicated something was amiss and helped point him in the right direction. Mark used other tools to dig down and actually find and remove the rootkit. Don't get me wrong, it is a very good tool. The betas mentioned above, though, are the tools for those who you don't want performing the surgery Mark was able to do.

Banned
    Ahhh! I haven't gotten around to using it yet and was wondering about it.

Thanks rapier57

Ninja Code Monkey
    Nice to see someone actually creating a tool to remove this garbage. It's sad that most of the anti-virus companies and so on are content with only removing the stealthing done to the software.
    "When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes." - Erasmus
    "There is no programming language, no matter how structured, that will prevent programmers from writing bad programs." - L. Flon
    "Mischief my ass, you are an unethical moron." - chsh
    Blog of X