December 17th, 2005, 04:28 AM
Ask Jeeves is Hiring
SENIOR SOFTWARE ENGINEER
Ask Jeeves, Inc. is seeking qualified candidates for the position of Sr. Software Engineer to work at our Campbell location. The Software Engineer will develop and implement a large scale data processing system in a distributed environment, in C++. The development tasks involve all aspects of scaling and improving a high-volume end-user focused web service.
* Addressing scaling issues arising from storing large amounts of data and serving a lot of web pages
* Maintain and improve RSS crawling and parsing processes
* Implement new functionality
* Develop tools and utilities to track progress and provide statistics
Technical Skill Level:
* Bachelors degree in Computer Science, Computer engineering, related fields or equivalent field experience.
* Very strong C and C++ understanding and development abilities
* Very strong UNIX abilities, including multithreaded/multiprocess development skills
* Good understanding of web protocols such as HTTP and HTTPS
* Good understanding of performance issues in a UNIX system and distributed environment
* Familiarity with web templating systems
* Familiarity with RSS and blogs
* Familiarity with scripting languages such as Python, Perl, or Bash
* Familiarity with databases such as Sleepycat, GDBM, or MySQL
Professional Skill Level:
* Able to work independently with minimum supervision.
* Result oriented. Love to work on the problems until solutions are found.
* Take initiative
* Able to actively drive project
* Be creative, patient and efficient, produce practical solutions
* Able to adapt to quick requirements change and produce quick solutions.
* Attention to details
* Commitment to Team
* 5+ yrs experience
* BS in computer science or equivalent field experience
Ask Jeeves About Careers
the job is dated...but because it's still posted I'm assuming it's possible they haven't found a suitable candidate yet and are still looking.
December 17th, 2005, 08:13 PM
I could do that ------- No problem
Oh wait .........
Rats, my downfall ............. I'm a loner ..........
I don't like to run with the 'pack'
Wellllll .......... I COULDN'T, could I
everyone else - back On/T
55 - I'm fiftyfeckinfive and STILL no wiser,
Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone
December 18th, 2005, 02:53 AM
hehe yea same here my wrestling coach would say the same thing but i make up for it so if i even thought about it id take sick days but come back with the matrix lookin stuff.......of course sleeping in bed is just as fun
"When in doubt, use Brute Force."
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.