Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which one is better?

Which one is better?

hi

Recently, I upgraded my computer and wasnt able to decide which Internet Security Suite to buy?

I hav got many options, but I suppose I'll choose from either Norton Internet Security Suite 2006 or Mcaffee Internet Security Suite 2006.

So, can u people tell me which one should I go for. Coz, earlier I had made a mistake of buying a product of less worth and capabilities.

thnx
    CodeNameVirus

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar
    Paid version of antivirus are good to have but, I have free antivirus and it works just as well for me... doesnt have as many features but works just as well... check this link out. all the ones listed on the first page of the link i would recommend.

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...free+antivirus
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

thnx 4 the link Texan, the links u gav me were of the Anti-virus. But wat I need is an INTERNET SECURITY SUITE( the one's with a firewall, spamkiller, anti-spyware,etc).

Also, I think free AVs are not as safe as Internet Security Suites are! what do u say?

do tell me, if u have free internet security suites!
    CodeNameVirus

Greeting's

Free internet suit :

1. AVG antivirus (free)

2. Zonelabs firewall (free)

3. Spy-bot and ad-aware (antispyware) (if you consider them a part of your Internet security suit)

Free or paid AV's and Firewalls are safe as you configure them (of course paid version will give you more options), remember having these software's and configuring them well is not the end of securing your computer. Update your windows and remove / disable all unneeded service's and disable all additional protocols except basic one's like (TCP, UDP, POP3 etc)
    Parth Maniar,
    CISSP, CISM, CISA, SSCP

*Thank you GOD*

Greater the Difficulty, SWEETER the Victory.

Believe in yourself.

for suites i can say, just for now "trend micro".
    or use own set of progs like avast+clamav+kerio,
    ZoneAlarm is not good compatibelt with avast , as i know for now
    // too far away outside of limit

OK,

Also, I think free AVs are not as safe as Internet Security Suites are! what do u say?
    As suggested, a lot depends on how you configure and use them. Looking at what is on the market today you will find that even these "suites" are stronger in some areas than others. However, as they are all from the same supplier the compatibility issues are theirs rather than yours

You might look at the ZoneLabs suite as it seems to have been beefed up recently, and is performing well in tests?

I don't personally like Norton, as it is very much of a resource hog and is rather slow.

I would still get on demand scanners like Ewido, A-Squared, Spybot and AdAware. Just boot them into safe mode and run them one at a time. That should avoid any conflicts.

I agree with nihl. And I positively don't like McAfee,and Norton is a resource hog.

I think you could put together a free system that would rival or beat anything you could buy in todays market. I use the free stuff almost exclusively and am very happy with it.

No matter which way you go, it is not an end all, and you have to stay vigilant and on your toes at all times. Most of security is not what you have for protection but what habits you use in your surfing and computing.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

Hoopy Frood
    Originally posted here by ByTeWrangler
    Greeting's

Free internet suit :

1. AVG antivirus (free)

2. Zonelabs firewall (free)

3. Spy-bot and ad-aware (antispyware) (if you consider them a part of your Internet security suit)
    To add to your list...
    4. Spyware Blaster (helps prevent spyware from ever being installed, instead of just removing it when it does get installed.)

5. Anti-advertisements (some security sweets do this, so I thought I'd mention it): Privoxy. You basically set up a local proxy and then route your browser through. As all the HTML traffic is passed through the proxy, filter rules are applied. For me, it blocks probably 60-70% of the ads on the internet, and blocks nearly all of the really annoying ones. (i.e. blinking flash with sound.) It's very flexible, easily configured, and comes with a set of default rules which are pretty dang good, IMHO. I've only added one domain to block in my whole use of it.

6. MailWasher. A free antispam program, and I believe I've heard it recommended more than once around here. I haven't used it personally, though, because I use Gmail.
    "Personality is only ripe when a man has made the truth his own."

-- Søren Kierkegaard

BIOS Bomber
    http://www.clamwin.org

Free Anti Virus Software to had the your shopping list. Goodluck theres alot to chose from.
    "When in doubt, use Brute Force."

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

1.Router (even if you only have the one PC)
    2.AVG (Grisoft) or Avast
    3.A-squared
    4.Zone Alarm
    5. Adaware SE
    6. Microsoft Antispyware Beta
    7. Spywareblaster
    8. Spybot S & D (this one is slowly becoming redundant, because of all of the others)
    9. Ewido 14 Day trial
    10. spywareguard
    11. Off Button.....

All of these are freeware for now......if you use any of these in tandem, be sure to keep them up to date, espescially for those that don't have auto updaters.

The thing to remember (I just recently tossed Trend Micro Internet 2005 corporate version) is that these all in one suites, become bloated and insinuate themselves into every nook and cranny on your PC, to the point where they tie up resources, I noticed this with Trend recently and decided to uninstall it, I did like it, but as you will see, a variety of the others will do the same job only with less resources.

I also have the paid version of mailwasher (got it from another forum contest ) and I like it, I like the fact that I can view my email while it is still at the ISP's server, and so I can delete and bounce the junk and keep only what I want, which will definatley help to keep the bad guys/gals out.

Practise safe Hex....
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson