Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which one is better?

One more...nihil's spot on with his suggestion of avoiding IE. May I add avoid using Outlook or Outlook Express (I know, it's not always possible). Most of this rogue stuff is coming in via M$'s web software. Stay away from it.
    “Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers

I have a better idea. Either load Linux, or buy a Mac. Don't use Windows at all. nuff said.

Hoopy Frood
    Originally posted here by kcore
    I have a better idea. Either load Linux, or buy a Mac. Don't use Windows at all. nuff said.
    I wish catch hadn't retired...

- X
    "Personality is only ripe when a man has made the truth his own."

-- Søren Kierkegaard

Originally posted here by kcore
    God that was a dumb comment kcore...it's friggin irrelevant what O/S you use. We're not interested in yet ANOTHER Win vs Linux vs Mac debate here.

I wish catch hadn't retired...
    I know.

AOs Resident Troll
    Its not the OS...its the configuration of the OS......and some people have no choice on what OS or applications they use...say in a business enviroment....so installing another OS is not an answer

Other OSes and applications have vulnerabilities too........

I suggest you visit Sans...and do some reading

http://www.sans.org/top20/

Its not just MS products listed..

All OSes and applications ..if not maintained and patched are vulnerable......geez even routers need patches.....

and of course user education ....... you cant blame it on the OS

MS products are targeted......because 90% of the computers...in the world.... run the software......better chance of infection

There are basic steps to prevent infection.....posted on this site......

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

My sentiments are with kcore..."eff" Windows. But my reality is I support Windows users for a living, so there's no escape for me. Personally, I run Linux much of the time, but Windows still sets the standard for desktop features. There are some great Linux servers out there for Windows networks.

While it's true in the strictest sense that Windows suffers no more flaws than any other OS, the metric gets skewed. No other OS suffers spyware and virii the way Windows does. And that's due in large part to design flaws. User management, the use of RPC, and the monolithic design of the OS contribute greatly to Windows problems.

I'm glad Windows is as screwed up as it is; I make my living addressing all those problems.

AOs Resident Troll
    So you are saying that because someone purposely created spyware or malware to target an OS it is the OS at fault..............

That my friend is a load of crap.....

if the skiddies spent half the time targeting another OSes....they would find just as many "design" flaws

Give it up....MS vs *nix....discussions are plenty on this site...

MLF

You're putting words in my mouth.

What I said was, "No other OS suffers spyware and virii the way Windows does."

If you've used Apple or one of the Linux desktops, you might notice an interesting feature whenever software gets installed on those OS's. A login comes up asking for the admin's password. What's nice about this is that it gives the user a threshhold to cross so they know when software is getting installed. Users are more secure in other OS's.

Most of the spyware that infects Windows machines comes in via ActiveX and Internet Explorer now. And that is possible because of the OS design, infect the browser and you can get to the kernel. Windows users who switch to an alternative webbrowser like Firefox or Opera suffer much less infections.

As for Window's networking components, reliance on RPC makes viruses like Slammer possible.

Sure there's viruses that infect Linux and Apple machines, but they are fewer and far between. And spyware is a uniquely Windows problem, because, again, it installs so easily and stealthily on Windows. Name me one spyware program that infects Apple's OS?

Just because M$'s licensing agreement absolves them of any liability for securing their OS doesn't mean they don't sell a detective product.

As for giving it up, if there's plenty of Windows vs. *nix discussions across this board, why are you here?

AOs Resident Troll
    not sure what your question is

why are you here?
    A private security researcher publishes a proof-of-concept exploit for a potentially serious bug in Apple's popular iTunes and QuickTime media players.
    http://ct.enews.eweek.com/rd/cts?d=1...347139-0-0-0-1

MLF

...no wonder you're stressed...c'ya.