Some neat Slackware stuff

Thread: Some neat Slackware stuff

Some neat Slackware stuff

So I haven't been to bed yet and it's almost 7 AM, and so I decided to start looking around online for Slackware Mailing lists as the main page only has two, of which you don't post to, and found a whole other mailing list.... So after that 10 minutes was up I looked more and found something called "FreeRock Gnome" which is a copy of Gnome that is made for Slackware and Slackware alone.

Dropline Gnome has great reviews but I'm really wondering what the differences are between the Foots so to speak. Anyway if you want to check it out I'm getting ready to install it on my 10.2 box :

http://gsb.freerock.org/

Freerock GNOME -
    a GNOME distribution for Slackware Linux
    Freerock GNOME is a complete GNOME Desktop distribution designed and packaged specifically for Slackware Linux. Freerock GNOME installs cleanly and non-intrusively by utilizing the standard Slackware software package format (".tgz"). Freerock GNOME integrates seamlessly and easily into Slackware Linux version 10.2.

BIOS Bomber
    I like it alot after you showed me GNOME yesterday. It would also fit your new mailing system your setting up. have fun bro
    "When in doubt, use Brute Force."

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

My main concern with Dropline is that it replaces multiple aspects of the core Slackware system with patched and modified version specifically suited to enhance Dropline. While this is great for the dropline gui itself, it makes purists such as myself cringe from the sheer amount of 'damage' done to the origonal files. It seems to completely deviate from KISS, from the removal to updating, pre-patched and hacked files.

It's a good looking gnome version, but it breaks the slackware philosophy far too much for me to continue using it.
    \"It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.\"
    - Charles Darwin

Should ask Pay to pop Enlightenment on Slackware. Was on there long ago, but not anymore. I generally use KDE or FVWM on Slackware. Even though I don't usually have X loaded much on there. Heh, Mandraketux has seen my Slackware box, no X loaded.

BIOS Bomber
    nope..KDE is so fun too..heh we were trippin out on the backgrounds and screen savers
    "When in doubt, use Brute Force."

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.