Thread: Diebold Voting Machines Hacked in Florida, USA

Diebold Voting Machines Hacked in Florida, USA

UPDATE Dec. 16: Volusia County (FL) joins Leon in dumping Diebold. Due to contractual non-performance and security design issues, Leon County (Florida) supervisor of elections Ion Sancho has announced that he will never again use Diebold in an election. He has requested funds to replace the Diebold system from the county. On Tuesday, the most serious “hack” demonstration to date took place in Leon County. The Diebold machines succumbed quickly to alteration of the votes. This comes on the heels of the resignation of Diebold CEO Wally O'Dell, and the announcement that stockholder's class action suits and related actions have been filed against Diebold by four separate law firms. Further “hack” testing on additional vulnerabilities is tentatively scheduled before Christmas in the state of California.
    Just goes to show how physical access is the weakest point in any system. Currently there are 1,200 of these voting machines in operation in the US, with 3 people typically having a high level of physical access. Scary stuff!

Source: http://www.bbvforums.org/cgi-bin/for...954/15595.html

Diebold CEO resigned few days ago

Hmm...me wonders why the Diebold CEO resigned last week.

I trully is amazing that a large company who's been in the ATM banking business for so many years screws up so bad in not testing the security of their voting machines. I mean, of all companies they SHOULD understand security....much less physical security having to secure ATMs.

Sigh....the stupidity of companies who rush to market in order to capture it before vetting out their products. I know, there's a balance...well Diebold's scales just tipped over. tsk tsk

Can Tony Blair buy this redundant kit? (Gordon Brown has assured me that he will cover the shipping costs)

Or are we still going to have to do it in warehouses in Birmingham?

BIOS Bomber
    well we seen this before
    "When in doubt, use Brute Force."

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

Re: Diebold Voting Machines Hacked in Florida, USA

be
    Originally posted here by MasterTsunami
    Just goes to show how physical access is the weakest point in any system. Currently there are 1,200 of these voting machines in operation in the US, with 3 people typically having a high level of physical access. Scary stuff!

Source: http://www.bbvforums.org/cgi-bin/for...954/15595.html
    That would be 1200 locations, not 1200 machines. It is typical for each voting location to have anywhere from 5-15 voting machines depending on the size of the location, and the number of voters in that voting zone.

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    A team of security dudes at Johns Hopkins university hacked the hell out of these machines over a year ago.

These things run Windows CE and the voting app has little "hide points" throughout that allow you to break out of the app and explore the HD, modify data, etc. Yes, tis true. I've seen it first hand.

--Th13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden