American Media Hits a New Low
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: American Media Hits a New Low

American Media Hits a New Low

Hey Hey,

I thought my fellow Canadians and the international body may get a kick out of this

http://news.yahoo.com/s/cpress/20051...us_cda_bashing

Last week, MSNBC host Tucker Carlson, a well-known conservative pundit, let loose with a string of anti-Canada rants.

"Anybody with any ambition at all, or intelligence, has left Canada and is now living in New York," he said.

"Canada is a sweet country. It is like your retarded cousin you see at Thanksgiving and sort of pat him on the head. You know, he's nice but you don't take him seriously. That's Canada."

Carlson also said it's pointless to tell Canada to stop criticizing the United States.

"It only eggs them on. Canada is essentially a stalker, stalking the United States, right? Canada has little pictures of us in its bedroom, right?"

"It's unrequited love between Canada and the United States. We, meanwhile, don't even know Canada's name. We pay no attention at all," he said.
    I find this one funny... An American saying we're the retarded ones...

Especially when you see things like this
    Source: http://www.nrrf.org/essay_Illiteracy.html
    According to the National Adult Literacy Survey, 42 million adult Americans can't read; 50 million can recognize so few printed words they are limited to a 4th or 5th grade reading level; one out of every four teenagers drops out of high school, and of those who graduate, one out of every four has the equivalent or less of an eighth grade education.

According to current estimates, the number of functionally illiterate adults is increasing by approximately two and one quarter million persons each year. This number includes nearly 1 million young people who drop out of school before graduation, 400,000 legal immigrants, 100,000 refugees, and 800,000 illegal immigrants, and 20 % of all high school graduates. Eighty-four percent of the 23,000 people who took an exam for entry-level jobs at New York Telephone in 1988, failed. More than half of Fortune 500 companies have become educators of last resort, with the cost of remedial employee training in the three R's reaching more than 300 million dollars a year. One estimate places the yearly cost in welfare programs and unemployment compensation due to illiteracy at six billion dollars. An additional 237 billion dollars a year in unrealized earnings is forfeited by persons who lack basic reading skills, according to Literacy Volunteers of America.
    VS

Source: http://www.worldlit.ca/facts.html
    22% of adult Canadians have serious problems dealing with printed materials.
    Now I didn't post a percentage for the US because they didn't have one but if we take their numbers (42 + 50 Million) and the population according to the CIA Handbook (295 Million)... Then we get a 31% illiteracy rate... a good deal higher than Canada's..

Can Canada really be considered our friend anymore?" he asked in a recent commentary in the right-wing Washington Times newspaper.

"What other question can be asked when the Canadian government not only willingly allows Islamic terrorists into their country but does nothing to stop them from entering our nation?"
    This was another part of the article I liked... I'm not sure who here has crossed the Canada-US border in the past... but it's American Customs Officers stopping you when you go into the US... No one from Canada speaks to you... and Entering Canada you deal with Canadian Customs Officers (no one from the US pays attention to you)... So this comment is interesting... because the US Customs Officers would actually be the one stopping people... How about we use that to demonstrate the level of intelligence in some people.

There are other good quotes too but I'll leave that for you all to read... This really amazes me... All because the US wants to be crooks when it comes to lumber... sheesh.

Peace,
    HT
    IT Blog: .:Computer Defense:.
    PnCHd (Pronounced Pinched): Acronym - Point 'n Click Hacked. As in: "That website was pinched" or "The skiddie pinched my computer because I forgot to patch".

Well looks like it is Canadas turn to be punished for disagreeing with the USA.
    \"America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.\"
    \"The reason we are so pleased to find other people\'s secrets is that it distracts public attention from our own.\"
    Oscar Wilde(1854-1900)

Now I didn't post a percentage for the US because they didn't have one but if we take their numbers (42 + 50 Million) and the population according to the CIA Handbook (295 Million)... Then we get a 31% illiteracy rate... a good deal higher than Canada's..
    Well, in the US defense, those numbers are for stupid people, but calculate the percentage for successfull americans versus successfull canadians (by successfull I don't mean rich off drug money [like here in NY ], instead rich due to inteligence)
    WARNING: THIS SIGNATURE IS SHAREWARE PLEASE REGISTER THIS SIGNATURE BY SENDING ME MONEY TO SEE THE COMPLETE SIGNATURE!

Oh please. The USA gets belittled by predominantly liberal Canadians left and right for disagreeing. If you can't take it, don't dish it out.

Originally posted here by Raion
    Well, in the US defense, those numbers are for stupid people, but calculate the percentage for successfull americans versus successfull canadians (by successfull I don't mean rich off drug money [like here in NY ], instead rich due to inteligence)
    Those numbers are for the entire population... Success does not immediately mean Intelligence... they are two different things... I grew up around sheet metal workers... some of those men were much more intelligent than a lot of University profs I've dealt with... but the profs made a lot more.. especially when you factor in research grants they had.... The sheet metal workers were in the profession they wanted to be in ... no stress, good job, the ability to work where you wanted, when you wanted...

Also I think you'd be surprised if you want to compare wealth... Eliminate all the athletes and musicians and actors (they aren't where they are due to intelligence)... Who's left... you just never hear about Canada because the US Media doesn't like to imply that other countries exist unless it's in a negative light... but like I said originally Success and Intelligence are two different things... The literacy rate is a solid number based on the entire population not just the "stupid" people...

Oh please. The USA gets belittled by predominantly liberal Canadians left and right for disagreeing. If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
    We disagree when the US does things that are morally and ethically wrong.... there's a big difference.

Peace,
    HT
    IT Blog: .:Computer Defense:.
    PnCHd (Pronounced Pinched): Acronym - Point 'n Click Hacked. As in: "That website was pinched" or "The skiddie pinched my computer because I forgot to patch".

Yeah I love the fact that we were responible for letting in known terrorists (we didn't train them to fly)...The Border works both ways, I mean we just let in whats his name 50 Cent.....isn't he wanted on someone's list...I honestly don't know why this guy with a known criminal record was allowed in to Canada, yet someone who admitted to "experimenting" with pot during the 70's get stopped at the Border......

I have travelled the old tunnel (Windsor/Detroit) on numerous occassions, and it is the US Border Guards that stop you and let you through, we don't get the weird suspicious looks from the Canadian Border Guards because, hey were leaving Canada, and if the US lets you through then okay....

The Wall..............
    WASHINGTON -- A U.S. plan to study building a security wall along the Canadian border makes no sense when what's urgently required are measures to speed the flow of trade, a cross-border business group said yesterday.

The study "on the use of physical barriers" was slipped into an amendment to a bill on border security and illegal immigration passed Friday by the U.S. House of Representatives.

The amendment, sponsored by California Republican Duncan Hunter, also approves building security fences with lights and cameras along more than 1,000 kilometres of the U.S.-Mexico border in four states to keep out illegal aliens and drugs.

"It's an indication of a lack of understanding about what the true challenges are on the northern border," said Scotty Greenwood, executive director of the Canadian-American Business Council.

"Just the fact that it would quietly pass is scary. They'll study it and it isn't going to be controversial.
    Source

You can't stop Illigal Aliens from coming up your arse,(all of South America and Mexico included) what makes you think it is going to stop people from coming from Canada....... The only way you will stop Canadians from going to the US is if you keep this paranoia and insanity up to the point where no one will want to visit the US, and I am sure your Tourism Industry will just love your Homeland Security goons for that.....there is approx 1 Billion worth of goods crossing that border each day, and in case you haven't noticed we are your biggest trading partner, cut us off, who are you going to trade with then.....The Japanese??? The Chinese (maybe) Europe (when pigs fly), so after alienating the rest of this continent, just who are you going to call a friend...I am not speaking for the UK members, (I have a lot of relatives their) but if you think that just because Thatcher and Blair got into bed with US politics that they are your most favored ally, then think again, the UK has it's own problems (Euro) to really give a rats ass about the US Domestic issues, because this is what this is......you have politicians of every stripe, jockeying for the next elections, and everyone is suddenly an expert of foreign relations...

Yeah that has stood America well in the past, lets piss off the neighbours, create this thing called "Free Trade" then we will move all of the jobs to Thailand/Mexico/Indonesia etc wages are nice and low, no benefits, no unions, no grief, no enviromental controls, yada yada yada....

Stop looking for someone else to blame, we know we have security problems, we don't need the US Gov't meddling in our affairs, want to build a wall, fine start laying the bricks, and once you have walled yourselves in, throw us the keys and we will ensure that no one bothers you as I am sure the Mexicans will do the same for the South...

As far as that bowtie commie pinko Tucker Carlson and Fox news, they just like to hear themselves talk, if you can't pick on someone your own size, then lets bully the little guy.....typical schoolyard antics, if I can't play I am taking my ball and bat and going home....boohoohoo...........
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson

AOs Resident Troll
    MURACU

Thats fricking scarey...cause its not just the lumber they want...its our fresh water and oil too.

And we dont allow terrorists into the staes..HT is right...you speak to American customs when you enter the states...

And those planes that slammed in to buildings 911...none of them took off in Canada....and all those guys had been in the states for a while.....and bushypoo was too busy playing golf to pay any attention to the warnings....

Tucker Carlson is a facist redneck...a typical non tolerant american bigot.
    Cant deal with the problems in his own backyard....but likes to stick his nose in everyone else business

Dont get me wrong...I know all americans are not like that...cause I just had a visit down there in Sept.....alot of them were making fun of the right wing administration...

So I know you guys arent all bad

MLf
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    I think this is just all silly. We need to send Rick Mercer back down there to do a "Talking to Americans Part Deux".

In all seriousness, many nations use elections to gripe about neighbours or those that they don't agree with. It makes the finger-pointing-politician look better because he says "Look at how bad they are doing compared to us.. Nyahh-nyahh!" The US does it. Canada does it. I'm sure Britain does it. It is the voyeuristic nature of society.

Is it worthy of our time? Hell, no! The Canadian election this year is a joke and a crock (Me?? Cynical?? Never.. all those years in the PCs didn't piss me off one bit). We're screwed no matter who ends up in power here in Canada and/or the US.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

its not just the lumber they want...its our fresh water and oil too.
    Got any fish, crabs, we'll take them.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

We disagree when the US does things that are morally and ethically wrong.... there's a big difference.
    So that's the only time you can pick on someone for disagreeing? Who made up that rule?