Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: preventing port scan - how to

preventing port scan - how to

Hello folks!
    Is there an easy way to protect port scan??

Banned
    Turn the computer off.

There is no way to "protect" from a port scan, or prevent one. But you can ensure that the port scan won't lead to an intrusion by securing the machine.

I do recall using this tool some years ago. I cannot say whether it is any good, but you might take a look?

http://www.portmonster.com/

you can use a tarpit, protectX is a program I remember using a few years back that did that, although, its not really a protection, it does make the results useless.
    With all the subtlety of an artillery barrage / Follow blindly, for the true path is sketchy at best. .:Bring OS X to x86!:.
    Og ingen kan minnast dei linne drag i dronningas andlet den fagre dag Då landet her kvilte i heilag fred og alle hadde kjærleik å elske med.

Some software firewall solutions will drop the packet rather than respond and if you are talking about a specific port, redirection may be another alternative. However as mentioned before, you can't prevent them if you are connected to the Internet.

~cheers~
    Connection refused, try again later.

Banned
    Some software firewall solutions will drop the packet rather than respond and if you are talking about a specitic port, redirection may be another alternative
    Dropping a packet does nothing to stifle the port scan. It merely alerts the scanner to the fact that a firewall is in place. Adding one more avenue for a skilled attacker.

EDIT: From the website:
    Block port scans, stop intruders, and protect services running on your computers and servers immediately.
    1. You cannot "block" a port scan. Dropping packets does not block the scan, it merely changes the results.
    2. WTF are you running a service for if you don't want it in fornt of the firewall?
    [/quote]

Running a service like ftp or email, and want to keep strangers out? Port Monster will allow you to specify those hosts that can connect, and will let you block the rest. This goes for any service running on your computer or server.
    It's a ****ing ACL. No more no less.

If someone gets past the main firewall for example, and starts probing ports on your machines, not only will those machines be protected, but you will see that probing activity and know that there is a problem!
    Layered security is all good, but if the intruder bypasses the primary firewall, how is this half-assed firewall going to do anything?

This looks like ZA and Sam Spade had some kind of weird love child.... that was born a crack baby with Down's Syndrome.

Oh yeah... The mascot is ugly too.

EDIT 2: I hate Christmas. That's why I'm cranky.

Secure the machine, and make it as difficult and unattractive as possible to a potential misfit.

Banned
    Secure the machine, and make it as difficult and unattractive as possible to a potential misfit.
    Wow.

How informative and helpful.

Could be worse, I would've negged ya if you mentioned Macs.

AO Senior Cow-beller
    Originally posted here by d0pp
    Wow.

How informative and helpful.

Could be worse, I would've negged ya if you mentioned Macs.
    What's wrong with Mac's? I love pop-culture (ob)s(e)curity!

Seriously...prevent a port scan? May as well try to prevent a kid from peeing in the pool at the YMCA. If it bothers you that much, unplug the computer (don't get in the pool...it's the same thing.)
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

Re: preventing port scan - how to

Originally posted here by AALVAVANDHAN
    Hello folks!
    Is there an easy way to protect port scan??
    Yea, when I want to protect my Port Scans, I use a stable scanner so it doesn't crash. That protects mine pretty well.