Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LAN to LAN Connection issue over VPN

LAN to LAN Connection issue over VPN

My company owner has a small 4 computer network at his house that is all connected together with a linksys hub and then the linksys hub is connected to a linksys router/firewall that is then connected to a DSL Modem. He uses VPN to connect to our office so he can check up on things via remote Desktop Connection, and his wife uses VPN to connect to the office so she can Connect to our Exchange server to use outlook 2003 for emailing and etc.
    So, the problem is that only one of them can connnect via VPN at once. The other problem, and the biggest pain is that when one of them is done with using the VPN connection, and the spouse then wants to use the VPN Connection on her computer (her computer is in one room and his is in his office. Both connected to the hub via CAT5) They have to power the router off then back on or else they have issues with the VPN connection.
    The problem that occurs is that when one of them disconnects, and the other connects, then the VPN goes through it's motions like it is actually connected, then it shows the system tray icon like it is connected, but the VPN on the office side for some reason, thinks that it is still the other computer connected. They want a soloution yesterday and I am out of ideas. The only thing that I can determine is that I have to figure out a way to get their linksys router to transmit a unique IP address for each machine each time they connnect via vpn.
    If you can help me, I'll dance a jig at you're wedding....
    There are many rewarding oppurtunities awaiting composure from like minds and great ideas. It in my objective to interconnect great things.

AOs Resident Troll
    Sounds like they are using a router that does not support multiple VPN connects...I know that is an issue with the lower end routers.....

What is the model of router you\they are using???

Get them a new router that supports multiple VPN connections

Google has lots of info on it

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=...multiple&meta=

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Thanks MLF. I appreciate the help. I'm requesting his model number and firmware version. Chances are, I will just have to upgrade the router. Too bad Christmas bonuses were already passed out. I'll be the hero to fix this one.
    There are many rewarding oppurtunities awaiting composure from like minds and great ideas. It in my objective to interconnect great things.

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    Indeed this is the case. The low end/old D-Link and LinkSys routers are notorious for this. They cannot handle the connection tables properly is the specific issue with the old LinkSys routers.

PS

Updating the firmware may not solve the issue depending upon how old the router is. I'd be interested to know how this little project concludes. Please post an update here.
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

I currently have a small office to small office IPSec connection that's been working very well. It's just two old 333 Mhz boxes that are running IPCop on them. I've had some problems, but it's mainly because one of the offices has a terrible internet connection. I've had more reliable dialup.

If you get a couple machines with a bit more horsepower you can mod the IPCop install to have all sorts of nifty features. It's just a suggestion, I've had decent luck with it.

The router is a WRT54G and the firmware version is Version 2.00.8.
    I found a new Firmware update and here is the following info...

Linksys, A division of Cisco Systems, Inc.

Product: WRT54G

Classification: Firmware Release History

Firmware Date: 8/18/2005

Release Date: 8/25/2005

Last Firmware Version: 4.20.7
    - Resolved issue with not being able to disable SecureEasySetup button
    - Resolved issue with Diag light being constantly lit after upgrading to 4.20.6 on v.1 hardware
    - Resolved issue with iDefense security vulnerability
    - Resolved issue with L2TP disconnect
    - Resolved issue with SecureEastsetup long button push not resetting wireless settings

Firmware 4.20.6
    - Resolve issues with setup wizard
    - Updated wireless security menu
    - Resolve issues with port based QoS

Firmware 4.00.7
    - Adds SecureEasySetup push button support
    - Resolves large file transfer issues
    - Resolves issue with enabling TKIP after enabling WEP
    - Updated QoS features
    - Resolves issues with multiple Access Restrictions policies
    - Resolves issue where multicast breaks when MAC filter status changes

Firmware 3.03.6
    - Supports hardware version 3
    - Updated help file

Firmware 3.03.1
    - Wi-Fi certified

Firmware 3.01.3
    - Updated wireless driver
    - Supports hardware version 2.2 (cannot downgrade to previous versions)
    - Resolves issue with VoIP adapters
    - Resolves issue with long domain names

Firmware 2.04.4
    - Updated wireless driver
    - Updated certificate generation for https access

Firmware 2.04.3
    - Resolves issue with disabling firewall
    - Added QoS function
    - Added Port Triggering function
    - Added L2TP option for WAN connection type
    - Added ability to back up and restore configuration files
    - Added Wireless isolation function
    - Added ability to filter internal NAT redirection
    - Added ability to restrict access to web GUI from wireless clients
    - Added ability to filter IDENT port 113
    - Resolves issue with HeartBeat WAN connection
    - Added support for 40/56bit cipher to support old browsers to use https
    - Resolves issue with PPTP passthrough
    - Changed WPA Group Key renewal time range to 600~7200 seconds
    - Added IGMP proxy support
    - Added ability to allow web GUI access only through https or http

Firmware 2.02.2
    - Updated wireless driver to support all versions of WRT54G hardware
    - Adds support to allow WAP54G connect as a repeater
    - CTS protection mode set to disable by default to improve wireless performance in normal environments
    - Resolved issue where the WLAN LED stays on even when wireless is disabled
    - Resolved security vulnerability causing the web server in the router to crash

AOs Resident Troll
    I think you need to get a better router.....

I could never get the low end linksys to work reliably with vpn cnnections...

Appears its not just me...google groups has alot of info on it

http://groups.google.ca/groups?hl=en...pn&sa=N&tab=wg

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Looks like a firmware upgrade may fix the issue.
    There are several vpn related protocals listed there as being resolved.

Resolves issue with PPTP passthrough

Added L2TP option for WAN connection type

Resolved issue with L2TP disconnect

Thats just at a glance though... You didn't really say what kind of vpn you're running.

Firmware&Config are the first things you should look at.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Hey Hey,

I'll post something that I've posted time and time again... just to hammer the point home.

3rd Party Firmware -- http://www.sveasoft.com/content/view/20/1/

Specifically the Talisman VPN version

Peace,
    HT

HT: I've been using sveasoft firmware for sometime now. I've not tried the VPN one though... I've just been using basic. That has been pretty stable and I've had no issues using a VPN. But then again... I'm the only one trying to connect at one time.

You can find the basic versions in the link below for free.
    I beleive you have to pay for the more specialized versions that HT posted.

http://wrt54g.thermoman.de/

But watch out... The older wrt54g routers are not supported. I beleive its version 2 and above.
    With such old firmware still on the router (2.x.x), you probably have a very old wrt54g.
    Just make sure you have the right hardware before you load the firmware or you'll foobar your router.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.