Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Hackers find first xbox360 cracks

BIOS Bomber
    Yea the day people were lined up waiting to buy them a few people said im buying 10,20 of these things on the radio. They asked why. "I'm a business man i can resell these" and blah blah. but good god make it abvious your going to screw them over. That also goes with stealing the source code then renting games. Man the future is going to be rough if they went crazy over this. remember Virtual Reality came out?
    "When in doubt, use Brute Force."

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

front2back- Those guys were idiots. They were putting in the mod chips and loading the mod chips with a BIOS that uses copyrighted code from the original xbox bios. If they would have just left one of the GPL xbox bios's on the chips and told the customers how to flash they chip they would not have been breaking any laws. It has always been the case that you have to flash the modchip yourself because if they have the "hacked" xbox bios it is illegal.

Actually i purchased one when they were released here. I had it sitting on the Coffee Table and it still fried itself. There was no electrical shortage, as it was plugged into a Safety Switch, like everything else electrical in the house..
    By reputable source I mean a gaming magazine, tech magazine, or major newspaper. Even though how reputable they are is arguable I've not seen a major news source report that they have had one go bad.. Are some of the devices failing, yes. Is the internet making this problem out to be much bigger than it really is.. Yes...

And front2back- if you really had a device, why would you let a repair shop open it when that voids the MS warranty? I've never heard of MS telling somebody to take their device to a repair shop, they are sending people postage paid boxes, and then fixing the problem, or sending a new device. You have to destroy the stickers on the bottom to open the thing up, and it pretty clearly says that voids the warranty.

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    All this thread, (and all the others about this or that video game console being hacked), proves is that physical access = zero security....

Move on kids.... The manufacturers will realize this eventually......
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

I paid for the first Xbox months in advance so i was defo getting one. I was sitting playing Halo for about 2 hours and it crashed said the disk was faulty etc ( Brand new console ). So i was in debt for nose candy and sold it to a mate ( since it crashed a lot ) and bought a used PS2 the laser was fux0r3d on that but it was a simple realign of the laser it needed it works perfect now. Xbox done the same with my friend so he pawned it and is moving on. Now to the Xbox 360 i have been heseatant (SP?) to buy the new Xbox as i paid about £300 in october for the first Xbox and it was a huge dissapointment graphics great,game play great,big hdd great, crashes every few hours frustrating ( a specially if you havent saved or hit a save point ). So IMHO ill never buy an Xbox again PS3 cant wait for it im just curious whats behind the plastic on the new PS3. Everyone knows an Xbox is a mini PC ( wait for the hacks ) well next year is not far off I bet a pound to a penny there will be plenty of hacks remember its not all software a soldering iron and necissery components and it's pwned. People have a grudge against M$ they will do whatever it takes to ridicule the company i suspect a few versons of *nix to pop up for the 360 since the flaw was founded on an existing flaw ( correct me if im wrong ) the hacks will be rolling out shortly. In onther news my fiance's brother managed to get a 360 and no probs from it it runs fine as far as I have seen but the first xbox put me off buying another M$ console. Why buy a console if you have a PC running Win with a decent GFX card sound card etc. My advice dont spend cash on the 360 up-grade your rig ( prolly cheaper ) most games come out for the PC anyway and if not there's always something equal or better to play on a PC. Ill post if Martin gets any probs with his 360 but everything seems fine I always get hit with the 'dodgy' stuff ( no not stolen just faulty )

All in all the graphics are good and so is the game play but I wouldnt take the risk again because it would be my luck to get a faulty 360 so ill hold off till the PS3 is released before I buy another console
    By the sacred **** of the sacred psychedelic tibetan yeti ....We\'ll smoke the chinese out
    The 20th century pharoes have the slaves demanding work
    http://muaythaiscotland.com/

Banned
    It's already started with the mods for the 360, just check sites like xbox-scene.org
    A Source: http://xbox-scene.org/xbox360-tutorials.php?p=0|#0

The case is much more difficult to get to, being that everything is apparently in enclosures, as well as using laptop components, which make the modding more expensive. (Laptop HD)
    Source: http://www.anandtech.com/systems/sho...spx?i=2610&p=2

But there will be "assembly kits" that will have the required tools to be able to properly disassemble the case. (instead of using metal shims - see above link)

All this is legal as long as people don't do like those in LA. You can mod the item, you can add components to the item, however you cannot add items that are in violation of copyright laws, like loading the console with 77 pirates games.

The issue about putting the BIOS on the Chip is actually legal! It's what is done with it afterwards is not legal. You can copy games to your hardrive, if you own the game. I do to ensure less usage on my discs to extend their surface life (and faster load times)

It's like owning a crowbar. You can use a crowbar as a tool, or you can use a crowbar to pry open parking meters. Does it make it illegal to own it? no. But you do have to be specific to it's purpose. You cannot expect to walk down a street at night with a crowbar in hand and not expect the police to stop and ask you questions. Same for a modded system. As long as your activitied are legal, it's all ok. Just don't go walking around town with 100 games on the HD when you own 12.

Now I have a question, since I haven't seen one physically, except in display cases. Does the XBox360 have a VGA port on the back? I've heard several people mention it, but I think it's gotta be bogus. 'Cause if it is there, it's asking to be modded for *nix

The issue about putting the BIOS on the Chip is actually legal!
    No, it is not. Evox M7, M8, or any similiar BIOS that uses the original XBOX BIOS is illegal. There is a copyright on that code, and it cannot be modified and redistributed. DMCA and other software copyright law makes that illegal.

The only legal XBOX hacked BIOS is those covered under GPL that were completely re-written such as the cromwell BIOS. You will find that almost all XBOX mod chips being shipped from legitimate sources have either the Cromwell bios, or a modified version of the cromwell bios.

I would consider this to be a complete list of legal XBOX bios software- http://www.xbox-scene.com/software/s...page=legalbios