Thread: Seagate+Maxtor

Seagate+Maxtor

I just bought my first MAXTOR 250 GB HD and when I was looking for moe info on what max. temperature is for maxtor HD and what is working temperature is, i came across this:

Source: http://www.seagatemaxtor.com/

Scotts Valley, CA, and Milpitas, CA, December 21, 2005 – Seagate (NYSE: STX) and Maxtor (NYSE: MXO) today jointly announced they have entered into a definitive agreement under which Seagate will acquire Maxtor in an all stock transaction. Under the terms of the agreement, which has been unanimously approved by the boards of directors of both companies, Maxtor shareholders will receive .37 shares of Seagate common stock for each Maxtor share they own. When the transaction is completed Seagate shareholders will own approximately 84% and Maxtor shareholders will own approximately 16% of the combined company. The value of the transaction is approximately $1.9 billion.

Source: http://www.bigbruin.com/reviews05/di...dex.php?file=5

The Maxtor drive was one of the warmest drives before it was even asked to start working. Burdening it with all of these tests and transfers increased the temperature some more, but only by a meager 1.5 degrees. Seeing drives from other manufacturers tells me that Seagate seems to have a few tricks up their sleeve that Maxtor and Hitachi may want to investigate. The temperatures are not excessive, and could easily be dropped with even a modest cooling fan, but cooler electronics are generally happier electronics (longer life, more stable performance).
    // too far away outside of limit

Hi Mr.Bebis,

This is the kind of stuff that I use:

http://www.xoxide.com/hardrivcool1.html

I am NOT recommending that particular brand, it just happened to be the first with a picture

I also recommend an exhaust fan at the rear (this is NOT a case fan)...............fits into a PCI space, and screws in like a PCI card, but does not need a PCI slot...........about $5.

And there is no law that says you must have two HDDs together?.............this box has DVD/CD then #1HDD then #2 DVD/CD, then #2HDD.................gives them a bit of space?

Just got these today-

Western Digital - 80 GBs

Seagate - 160 GBs

And since I'm better at telekenisis (SP?) and levitating myself over the Earth's surface than I am with hardware and in particular none Network related harwdare (Anything that isn't RAM or a Network card I can't do ) I had the nice people on Geek Squad do it for 40 dollars.

I put the 160 in my Slackware box and I'm saving the 80 Gig for this box because the 43 GB drive in it is giving errors once in a while and if it fails I need to be able to have it up and running again fast.

So now my Slackware box has 240 GBs. I was stroking the HD earlier whispering sweet nothings of MP3s and pron to it.

gore:

if that box you are running is a windows (not sure how to do this in any other OS, so I say in windows becasue I know you can for sure), you may want to consider throwing in that 80, and doing a software mirrior on it, that way if the old one crashes it will have just about no down time (a few minutes to break the mirrior, remove the old hard drive and then reboot) then you can use some softwar (like partition magic) to rejoin the two partitions from the new drive (when you do the mirrior it will break off a chunk identical in size to your old drive). and you will be good to go. or you can just leave it partitioned.
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

The box is running Linux but there are tools to do it in that as well but the idea I had was to wait a bit, as this drive has been doing this before, but I never did anything about it. But yea man as you said I'm having it put in and made the Master and the drive in now as secondary.