Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any reccomendations (Realtime Malware Protection)?

Question Any reccomendations?

well this is actually my first post but i've joined quite a while ago and read a lot of anti-online's articles and threads (which was very intresting and helpful )

alright, ANYWAYS...

i was wondering if anybody could reccomend me any good antispyware programs that give an effective, good real-time protection. i've already looked at the thread called "top rate N antispyware" or whatever and have found it to be not very helpful. the current stuff i have on my comp for spyware realtime protection is: spybot sd with teatimer and ms antispyware. those don't seem very good because ms antispyware has a nice realtime protection only for whats going on INSIDE your computer but never really protects anything from entering..same for the teatimer in spybot sd. its a hassle to always run scans and remove stuff that could've just been blocked so i hope somebody can help me find a nice real-time protecting antispyware :S

Go get Ewidow, AdAware, and A-Squared. I have these three as well as Spybot S&D and so far i have had nothing on my pc that one or more of those can't clean.
    \"He who shall introduce into public affairs the principles of primitive Christianity will change the face of the world.\"
    Benjamin Franklin

well yeah i know those, but they dont have real-time protection (ewido has temporary for free version) , thats what i'm looking for. i already have adaware as well. oh and i forgot to add, i'm looking for one that is FREE
    Come to the dark side......WE.....HAVE......trackingCOOKIES!!

Hey Hey,

Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta.... it's free... it has realtime protection and it's quite effective...

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...e/default.mspx

Peace,
    HT

Re: Any reccomendations?

Originally posted here by corrupted_code
    the current stuff i have on my comp for spyware realtime protection is: spybot sd with teatimer and ms antispyware. those don't seem very good because ms antispyware has a nice realtime protection only for whats going on INSIDE your computer but never really protects anything from entering..same for the teatimer in spybot sd.
    already have it anyone else have different reccomendations?

Re: Re: Any reccomendations?

already have it
    I know but what you're asking for doesn't really exist... What is have is the best you're going to get... Malware software (other than AV) has never really been real-time... it's always been scan and clean.

Perhaps instead of asking for something to keep the malware off... you should figure out what you're doing that causes you these malware infestations and ask for ways to change that.... Switch to firefox, increase browser security, don't use an admin account, Don't use P2P apps like Limewire... Stay away from downloading things you don't recognize.. Turn on some advanced file options like show extensions and show hidden files...

Peace,
    HT

[Edit]

I'm also going to rename the thread for you to make it a little more obvious to people browsing the forums.

[/Edit]

yeah, i was guesin stuff like that doesnt exist. anyway my computer is actually clean of anything right now [i already use firefox, made several saftey precautions etc], i was just asking around for my brother comp since he kept getting the cydoor spyware that ms antispyware could remove but never seem to block from entering. although, i do use limewire (newest version) it apparently stated in it that they dont bundle any spyware or adware anymore in this new version (4.10.0) so i'm hoping nothing strange will happen with limewire >_>

Banned
    The reason he has Cydoor is probably because he's using a P2P Program like KaZaA.

Once you remove the spyware cydoor, kazaa stops working, so he reinstalls it, putting cydoor back on

yeah, i was guesin stuff like that doesnt exist. anyway my computer is actually clean of anything right now [i already use firefox, made several saftey precautions etc], i was just asking around for my brother comp since he kept getting the cydoor spyware that ms antispyware could remove but never seem to block from entering. although, i do use limewire (newest version) it apparently stated in it that they dont bundle any spyware or adware anymore in this new version (4.10.0) so i'm hoping nothing strange will happen with limewire >_>
    Read this if you want to practise safe hex:

How did I get Infected???

And definately get rid of Kazaa, this is a review done by Ben Edelman, on what certain P2P programs will drop onto your PC.

Comparisons P2P

Kazaa is a major one.....
    Don't use P2P apps like Limewire
    actually if you must have a P2P program, then Limewire is the best of the bunch for not slipping in 3rd party apps.It's what the user downloads that determine how infected they become.

Also definately switch to Firefox...http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson

My recommendation would be to think rather carefully about this. You are talking about interactive applications here. Each one of them represents a resource overhead, a potential source of conflict/instability, and even a security compromise.

This is why they tend to be stand alone on demand applications. Now, your AV and firewall are interactive, but every week millions of computers get infected, because the bad guys write new stuff all the time. Most of that is just "fooling around", whereas adware/spyware is big business, with vast sums of money involved. Please let me assure you that it is properly financed

In a corporate/institutional environment it is possible to mitigate risk with a robust security policy that basically only allows minimum authority to user accounts and groups, and prevents communication between segments/sectors of the network that have no need to interact with one another.

Similarly, you could secure a home setup, but I strongly suspect that the aggravation that this would cause would have your brother logging on as Admin within a very short while.

All I can suggest is that you take a look at http://www.winpatrol.com and check out: http://www.diamondcs.com.au/ RegistryProt is a free product. Stuff that checks for changes to your system at least give you a warning?

I believe that you have SpyBot S&D?......................please take the option to start in "advanced mode" and use the tools to check out BHOs etc from time to time.

"SpywareBlaster" is another tool you might like to get. It runs when it is needed and provides some protection against ActiveX vectors. It integrates with SpyBot.

And use the immunisation feature in SpyBot as well as locking your browser home page.

I am afraid that this is not quite what you were looking for, but it might help?