Linux Problem

Thread: Linux Problem

Linux Problem

during an install of suse 9.2 workstation a dialog poped up saying it failed to create a swap space. the install compleated and suse seemed to run fine with some where around 300 meg of ram on a p4 2.6 gig proessor.

i checked partitioner in Yast and it showed a swap of around 700 meg but when i tried to unpack some win2k vmware files to use in conjunction with my work network via vpn it seemed to lock up solid. the hd light is still blinking so my guess is its running but reak slow.

winxp was on this box and with ever start up it would tell me it had to run checkdisk.

whats the best way to check/repair the swap partition?

(just took another look at it (kvm)...the mouse still wont move)
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Dead Man Walking
    Sounds like maybe a bad HDD to me. I would recomend maybe getting a copy of Disk Fittness Test. Not sure the URL but google should pop it up. Also check it out with PC Certify. Or maybe spin rite but god is that slow.

Hi Ted~

What are the specifications and make model of the HDD?

How old is it?

You might be able to get diagnostic tools off the manufacturer's site.

At the moment it sounds very much like a hardware/firmware issue.

To be honest with you, the experience with XP is not a good omen. It obviously wasn't shutting down properly. I am afraid that its conversion to fridge magnets might be imminent

i agree with both of you on the h/w problem but im hoping that linux will have a tool that can mark the sectors bad that windows couldn't.

maybe i should just resize down another partition and create a swap space there. its a 40 gig h/d and i hate to waste it. its not like im at work and the company is paying for new parts.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Good Morning

The computer is acting just like it should if the swap space was not created or formattted. Meaning that creating the swap is at least a two step process. First the partition then format the partition. So although the swap file is showing up on the the partition table, the actual formating of the swap file probably didn't happen. Therefore it can't be used, thus the error, and the snails pace.

Could be a hardware issue – bad sector(s), however I would tend play with software or re-install first. I have never tried to delete/recreate or format the swap while using Yast from with it's installed modules, so I would be talking out of the back orifice if said you could. In fact it would probably lock up as it did, go blank screen, flip you off, or who knows what else. I have created other partitions etc., under those circumstances though. Just not swap or /. Would it work? Dunno.

Regardless, what I would do before I yanked the HDD out and replaced it is scan it like suggested or would do another install and use the custom section during the partitioning and create a different size of swap (different sectors) and check the box which asks if you want to format swap. Of course you'd need to create at a minimum, another / as well. To save time, I'd install a very stripped down version to see if it worked. You can always go back with Yast and add packages.

cheers
    Connection refused, try again later.

Re: Linux Problem

Originally posted here by Tedob1
    during an install of suse 9.2 workstation a dialog poped up saying it failed to create a swap space. the install compleated and suse seemed to run fine with some where around 300 meg of ram on a p4 2.6 gig proessor.

i checked partitioner in Yast and it showed a swap of around 700 meg but when i tried to unpack some win2k vmware files to use in conjunction with my work network via vpn it seemed to lock up solid. the hd light is still blinking so my guess is its running but reak slow.

winxp was on this box and with ever start up it would tell me it had to run checkdisk.

whats the best way to check/repair the swap partition?

(just took another look at it (kvm)...the mouse still wont move)
    Ted seriously pop a new drive in man. This one messed up even in Windows, so popping Linux on, it's going to show you problems if they are there.

EDIT:

Ted:

fsck (Enter)

yes (Enter)