Thread: Upgrade NT4 Domain to 2003

Upgrade NT4 Domain to 2003

OK:

I have been offered the task of upgrading a small network; less than 300 nodes. to 2003 AD.

Two DC's an exchange 2000 server, 2000 / xp workstations.

Now usually I would take the job (Extra Cash) but this time I don't know if I shoud take the job.

The owner does not want to buy ANY new hardware since all servers are less than three years old. All of his machines are way above min requirements; however, I don't know if I want to risk upgrading a live environment.

To answer the most obvious questions. Because the last IT contractor BS'd the owner and got paid to upgrade hardware only. (which was almost double fair market value)

So what do you all think. Would you upgrade a live environment? The first two weeks of Jan, the network can be off line - I would set a second mx record up just in case and point it to a smtp server somewhere.

It's a simple network. 255.255.0.0 sitting on a 10+Mbs internet connection. No eCommerce
    09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0

AOs Resident Troll
    Het Dino

Check out Jeff Middletons swing migration

http://www.sbsmigration.com/

May be the tool you need....

backups, backups,...................and one more backup.......then verify

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

choices

Well the way I see it (and Microsoft for that matter), you have 2 choices.

The one I prefer (because you can start with a clean slate) is using one of the two Domain Controllers and install Windows 2003 on it (clean install) and create a new domain ...after that you can make a trust between NT and your new domain ...then use the AD migration tool to transport users and so on.

The second method is upgrading the OS on the same server, this keeps your domain the way it is and minimizes migration problems...don't forget to make your NT server a PDC in advance ... this method is prefered by many but also disliked by many more ...this is due to the risks involved of failed upgrade and other stuff staying behind after upgrading ...most people I know have had problems later on when everything is in production.

Upgrading Exchange ...that's another cookie all toghether ..but I would choose approximately the same method as the first method mentioned above ... you can do an upgrade, remember that you need to be running at least windows 2000 server with SP3 before doing this upgrade.
    You'll first need to upgrade exchange and then upgrade the OS to Windows 2003 because of reasons mentioned HERE .

This in short the method I would use ... But as morganlefay mentioned ...backups are the key to a succesfull failure ..or something

So , take the job or not ... if you have the time to read up a bit and want to learn quite a bit about upgrading, migrating etc ... I would do it .

Hope this is somewhat helpfull.

C.
    Back when I was a boy, we carved our own IC's out of wood.

AOs Resident Troll
    The link I provided is not just for SBS...it can apply to any MS domain upgrade. You just need a machine to dump the data to

What is great about it...is you dont have to touch the client machines...saving ALOT of time...

Changing domain names is a pain....specially if you use UNC for anything....plus having to remap drives and reset links on every client...pain in the butt

As Cementric stated.....I always prefer a clean install when upgrading servers....so I lean towards clean install

Another way to do the exchange is...to sit at every client and export the mailbox (and all sub folders) to a PST file while connected to the old exchange ...then once connected to the new exchange ..import the pst...voila..restored mailbox....

I have used that long ago before MS provided migration tools
    .........extremely time consuming.

I have read great things about Jeff Middletons Migration kit.......allows for you to keep the same domain name....

Google swing migration...or Jeff Middleton for that matter...you will see alot of threads on his tool kit.

HTHs

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Cemetric

Thanks, If I do take the Job I will promote the current BDC and upgrade. I did not know about exchange 2000 and 2003 server. You just saved me a lot of work!

The two existing DC's are only running the OS so at least some one did something right.

morganlefay

I checked out the link - really interesting stuff. I'm reading the PDF's now.

I'd greenie you but I can't give it to you again

I'll try to keep this thread updated.
    09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0

Your welcome - and success

And yes keep us posted ...might be we learn things also

C.
    Back when I was a boy, we carved our own IC's out of wood.