Thread: firewalls

firewalls

hey all

At home i've got a few computers. Only one is 'connected' to the internet, but the others can acces the internet through sharing.

I was wondering do i need a firewall on each PC or will one on the main computer do?

thx for any help

It depends whats on the other computers is it any thing inportaint and whats the firewall software are you using on the system thats connected to the internet, little more info plz =)

Well I'm just using windows firewall (xp), the default one. And yeah, the other computers are also important.

I was under the impression that you only needed a firewall on the internet gateway, and that was it... But I was probably wrong...

thx again

Yes, You need the security packs (Firewall, AntiVirus, Antispyware, etc) on each individual computer.

< Couldn't find that thread which had all the links to these tools. Anyone please post a link to that page. >

- :S:
    \"And life is what we make it. Always has been, always will be.\"

OK you need to fire wall all of your pcs.
    My sugestion is to go with like McAffy or Norton and keep them patched.
    The windows default firewall is worthless on a good day.
    Disabe it and install the a better one
    ~Michael~

Hello jpm and welcome to AO

I would suggest that you have to consider the router/gateway box as your perimeter wire.......... if anything gets through that you are fighting in the cookhouse and the dunnies?

I only consider internal firewalls and protection if I think that there is a potential enemy within, or if stuff will be brought in on media.

OK, so basically, anything malicious coming in will need to get through the 1st firewall to get to the other computers (assuming it's from the internet)? And firewalls on these computers will just act like a second line of defense? That's my understanding of it - plz tell me if i'm wrong!

In regards to antivirus and spyware, I've got avast, Spybot - Search and Destroy and Registry First Aid. Are these all 'satisfactory' security programs? I think i've seen one or two of them mentioned on here somewhere, so I'm assuming they are.

thx

get ad aware se too.

you will find it in www.download.com

and ewido
    http://www.ewido.net/en/

they are both good

cheers
    you are entering the vicinity of an area adjecent to the location.

Hi There

Quick lesson;

What is a Router?

*A device that determines the next network point to which a data packet should be forwarded en route toward its destination
    *The next "hop" in "how do we get there from here"
    *A packet typically travels through several routers before arriving at its destination
    A router…

*Is connected to at least two networks
    *Examines packet source and destination addresses
    *Decides which way to send each packet based on its current understanding of the networks to which it is connected
    What is a firewall?

*Prevents unauthorized access to information resources by placing a barrier between a protected network and an unsecured network
    Why do I need a firewall?

Mitigation of:
    oTheft or disclosure of data
    oUnauthorized access to hosts and systems
    oInterception or alteration of data
    oVandalism and denial of service (DOS)
    oBad publicity, public embarrassment, lawsuits
    I have a firewall, so I'm protected

*WRONG!
    *WRONG!
    *Did I mention that's simply WRONG?
    *Firewalls can give a false sense of security
    What a Firewall Can't Do

*Protect against threats inside your network
    oEmployees
    oWeak passwords
    *Protect against attacks that don't go through your firewall
    oPersonal modems
    oSocial engineering
    *Protect against attacks on services allowed through your firewall
    o Attacks on firewall-protected web and email services
    oViruses and browser attacks
    Source

Botom line, even if you have a router, each PC should have a software firewall, if they are XP then the Windows firewall can be used...I would recommend Zone Alarm instead.http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/home.jsp

Not eveything that your router see's is malicious, but there are internet trojans/viruses (in the wild) which will seek out a new PC just hooking up to the net without protections usually within the first 10 minutes.
    The CERT/CC has composed this Tech Tip to address a growing risk to Internet users without dedicated IT support. In recent months, we have observed a trend toward exploitation of new or otherwise unprotected computers in increasingly shorter periods of time. This problem is exacerbated by a number of issues, including:

* Many computers' default configurations are insecure.
    * New security vulnerabilities may have been discovered between the time the computer was built and configured by the manufacturer and the user setting up the computer for the first time.
    * When upgrading software from commercially packaged media (e.g., CD-ROM, DVD-ROM), new vulnerabilities may have been discovered since the disc was manufactured.
    * Attackers know the common broadband and dial-up IP address ranges, and scan them regularly.
    * Numerous worms are already circulating on the Internet continuously scanning for new computers to exploit.

As a result, the average time-to-exploitation on some networks for an unprotected computer is measured in minutes. This is especially true in the address ranges used by cable modem, DSL, and dial-up providers.

Standard advice to home users has been to download and install software patches as soon as possible after connecting a new computer to the Internet. However, since the background intruder scanning activity is pervasive, it may not be possible for the user to complete the download and installation of software patches before the vulnerabilities they are trying to fix are exploited. This Tech Tip offers advice on how to protect computers before connecting them to the Internet so that users can complete the patching process without incident.
    http://www.cert.org/tech_tips/before_you_plug_in.html

Yes the software firewall adds the extra protection behind a properly configured router (see your router's manual for setting up the other PC's).I am not familiar with Registry First Aid, as a rule IMO if you are real familiar with the registry then using these programs are okay, however if you are not then using these incorrectly could corrupt the registry (make backups) usually WinXp does a good enough job, if you leave most of the junk files/keys alone, unless you are required to remove them....
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson