Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: first dictionary entry?

first dictionary entry?

Well basically...

Set up a little wargames thing here in the house and set up a separate username to try and bruteforce with enum but my problem is that it seems to accept whatever password is at the top of the dictionary list.

I remember this happening before but I cant remember what on and I was wondering why it happend? at first I thought there might not of been a password and therefore enum would of got a connection with any password but I made sure there was one set up on this user

thanks for any help
    Did someone piss in the gene pool?

.... yes ?

Dude, you gotta explain what in the name of sweet chocolate christ you are talking about.
    The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool - Good Ole Bill Shakespeare

BIOS Bomber
    uhh i agree for one just state your problem...
    "When in doubt, use Brute Force."

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

I think he/she is saying that they have set up a Box at there home, and they are trying to exploit that box.
    Anyhow the Brute Forcer that he/she is using is connecting to the box with the psswrd Dictionary that the Brute Forcer is using..

He/She thought that there might not of been a psswrd set on the box that he/she is trying to exploit. But there is a psswrd set, so he/she wants to know why the brute forcer is able to connect straight away with the Dictionary file that they are using..

Ok i would say that maybe the psswrd that you are using on the Box that you want to exploit is a little to easy to guess.
    Maybe change the psswrd to something containing Upper and Lower Case, and add some Numbers into the psswrd as well.

Also try changing the Admin account name to something else, and also set up a normal user account and make a difficult psswrd for that account as well..

cheers
    front2back

Sorry I should of explained

Im trying to use the SMB login for windows default shares C$ and IPC$ etc...

No matter what it says on the dictionary files as the first one it accepts it when I know it isnt the password, I can even leave the first entry blank and it accepts that :?

the user is not admin or anything i made another use 'asdf' in the admin group

Sorry for being vauge

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Have you altered the security on the shares themselves or are they open to anyone?
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

well open to anyone with a login I guess, I havent changed it from default settings

Then I think I can see your problem, can you?
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

I thought it might be that it didnt need a password? So it wouldnt matter what password was provided...

But without a user login I dont see how the shares could be accsesed so that cant be it can it? :?

Default permissions on drives under Win2k or WinXP allow "Everyone" access to the share thus no credentials are needed. Change it to Authenticated Users and see if you get a different result.