Tape Drive Help. New to SCSI here

Thread: Tape Drive Help. New to SCSI here

Tape Drive Help. New to SCSI here

How's it going? having some trouble setting up my PowerVault 110T tape drive. I followed the instructions set in the documentation, but the set up just doesn't seem right.

It is an external tape drive.

I put the terminator on the tape drive (only SCSI device being used). On the other end, I connect the SCSI connector to the SCSI card. There are two slots, I connect to one and leave the other empty. I thought that it might need some type of terminator here too, but it doesn't show it in the documentation.

Here's my problem. When I went to the device manager, there were multiple drives listed. I then installed the drivers and 15 tape drives showed up. Is it suppose to be like this?

Thanks in advance

Hi,

I cannot quite visualise your layout......................what type of ribbon cable are you using to connect?

I am afraid that the only SCSI box I have at the moment is a very old IBM PC360 prototype server. The two HDDs take up the first two connections then the terminator is attached............this leaves several spare ones the far side of it.

Errrrrrrrrrr, I must say that this box has slots for a 386 or a 486 processor, it is that old

15 sounds sort of familiar, isn't that the maximum connections for a single SCSI string?

What happens when you try to access the 15 tape drives?

I will have to wait until I go back in January to look at a real machine but it sounds as if the terminator is in the wrong place.

Just Another Geek
    Have a look at the SCSI id of the tape drive. The SCSI controller itself also has an id. Every device on the "chain" needs to have it's own unique id.

Some SCSI controllers are able to "auto-terminate" so you probably do not need the terminator on the unused connector. Your tape drive may also have this function. Check the manual.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

I set the SCSI ID to 7.

Just Another Geek
    IIRC id 7 is usually used by the SCSI controller... Which SCSI controller do you have?
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.