Thread: Selecting a right DVD disc

Selecting a right DVD disc

Selecting a right DVD disc

1)
    How can I choose a good DVD disc?
    Which brand?
    What storage (GB) should I buy?
    Are the storage volume the same for all DVD media for the same type?

2)
    ** Speed **
    And what speed of DVD should I purchase?
    Should I just go for the fastest one?

3)
    ** Single or dual-layered **
    Which one should I choose?
    And why?
    Any compatibility issue?

Apart from dual-layer DVD, is there any better DVD media in the market now?
    If so, what are they?
    How good are they?

4)
    ** layer/structure/dye **
    I'm not sure if the layer or dye used by the DVD is important.
    I wish my DVD can be kept for long time. I don't wish to lose my data.
    If you know about that, what layer/dye of the DVD should I buy?

Thank you

Hello Wai_Wai and welcome to the dragon's lair

#1......................not the cheapest of course, you will have to tell us what devices you want to use? then I could give you an idea, but I have had so many problems with very good brand makes such that I would not suggest one.............do not buy very cheap ones!

#2....................speed depends upon your read/burn. As a personal advice I generally divide by 2 for my burn rate. You get very few wasted ones that way

#3 Dual layer....................I guess that you are using DVD? well, dual layer is fancier than single layer...........also more likely to go wrong?

#4 ............... A good quality medium will last 50~100 years, you may? I certainly shall not. As I said, buy good stuff rather than cheap. After all, how much would you want to keep for more than 25 years?.................use inexpensive for that material, and TEST before deleting?

Hello Wai_Wai and welcome to the dragon's lair
    Why are you surprised after the greeting?

not the cheapest of course, you will have to tell us what devices you want to use? then I could give you an idea, but I have had so many problems with very good brand makes such that I would not suggest one.............do not buy very cheap ones!
    Any example of very good brand but you getting problems?
    What is your DVD-RW drive?
    Do you know the causes of the problems?

A good quality medium will last 50~100 years, you may? I certainly shall not. As I said, buy good stuff rather than cheap. After all, how much would you want to keep for more than 25 years?.................use inexpensive for that material, and TEST before deleting?
    The "50-100 years" one is a fairy tale.
    I read some articles.
    Some people reported that their discs go wrong within 2-3 years, which is much shorter than the claimed longevity.
    This is what I'm worried.
    I don't wish to lose my data, and I need to keep them for long-term retrieval (say 10 years) & backup purpose.

Some of the reasons are:
    - manufacturers like to exaggerate facts
    - their figures can only be achieved in ideal situations (very dry, cool, no UV, proper placement etc.)
    - people don't just burn their disc and seal them in a safe place for long. They may use the discs once in a while. The reading process, heat etc. should shorten the disc's life.

not the cheapest of course
    I have to disagree with this; I've seen a lot of good DVD-RW drives very cheap and horrible ones, very expensive. I saw a horrible one going for $75 and a better one for $40. I hear the NIC is a good name brand for DVD-RW and DVD-ROM drives.
    WARNING: THIS SIGNATURE IS SHAREWARE PLEASE REGISTER THIS SIGNATURE BY SENDING ME MONEY TO SEE THE COMPLETE SIGNATURE!

Hi Wai_Wai & Raion ,

I hope that I understood you correctly? I thought you were referring to media (as in the discs?), rather than the actual device?

I use Sony and Liteon as devices. I have had problems with Memorex and Maxell media. The most reliable I have been using recently are Plextor.

I believe that you should always check your media after you have burnt it, as that is where most of the problems are created.

I believe that Kodak do an archiving media that will last the distance?..............please remember that how you store it is important..............silica gel is good for controlling moisture, and a photographic store will sell you cans of inert gas that is heavier than air

This replaces the oxygen which moulds and the like depend on.

Hi there Wai_Wai check this link [1] out it contains information on DVD-discs , formats and players ... Should help you out with your questions ....

[1] DVD Frequently Asked Questions (and Answers)
    Operation Cyberslam
    \"I\'ve noticed that everybody that is for abortion has already been born.\" Author Unknown
    Microsoft Shared Computer Toolkit
    Proyecto Ututo EarthCam

I have used Kodak media in the past for archiving purposes:

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/servi.../faq1632.shtml

It is purpose made for the job. DVD material does not "wear out" if it is handled properly. What might happen is the dye might degrade over time, but you should be good for a lot more than 10 years.

The biggest danger is using poor quality media that does not record properly in the first instance.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I have always found Plextor reliable.

If your stuff is very important I would recommend making two copies, running a media checker on them, and storing them in separate locations.

Another possibility is to have a removable slave hard drive?

Just a few (more) thoughts

Old Fart
    Best info on the web... http://cdfreaks.com . Info concerning burners, software and media manufacturers.
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

hi,
    read little bit the latest info
    http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/12/...s_true_speeds/