Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spyware/Adware Removal, Cleaning Registry, Fixing Windows Problems?

Spyware/Adware Removal, Cleaning Registry, Fixing Windows Problems?

Hello. I recently bought a new PC and I want to purchase some Adware/Spyware removal tools, registry cleaners, .. you know.. the over all system maintenance tools. I'm running Windows XP Media Center Editon 2005 with SP2 and Panda Internet Securities 2005, on an AMD64 Athtlon dual 3700 w/ 2gb RAM and I am on a home network. Anything that you can recommend is appreciated.

Also, I'm going to be dual booting SUSE 10 64bit in a few days (100gigs for windows/100 gigs for linux)
    \" Love is the sugar that rotts your heart \" ~ Iniquity

if you check the tutorials it will giv you dozens of recomendations as far as what people use.

Personally I think one of the best registry cleaners is regedit. you know what is being deleted then.

as far as adware goes, i like adaware by lava soft. also spysweeper by webroot is becoming increasingly popular. but there are dozens of software brands that claim to be the best. download some trials and see which you like the best.
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

...try M$'s AntiSpyware program. It's pretty good actually. Refrain from using Internet Explorer, Outlook and Outlook Express.
    “Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers

as broken crow said, don't use internet explorer (unless you need to use it for IE viewable sites only) try using firefox instead. here are a few good adware/spyware removal programs:

-Spybot Search & Destroy(good, completely free scanner with a decent process guarder/watcher with several handy tools)
    -Microsoft Antispyware(compeltely free [if you have a real windows product key that comes with a good scanner and good realtime protection)
    -Ad-aware SE (pro is paid and comes with some protection features, personal is free, but has less features)
    -a-squared (good for trojan removal as well, also has an interesting real-time scanner [paid version])
    -e-wido (new program that is quite popular. misses some key features in free version, but the paid one is great)
    -webroot spysweeper(your standard buyable antispyware program that has been getting good reviews.has good realtime protection as well as scanning.)
    -winpatrol(good inbound protection software against anything malicious going on in your computer [like if you're already infected])
    -sunbelt counterspy (a lot like ms antispyware so i'd rather just get that instead since it's free)
    -spyblaster (good, free and extremely low resource consuming realtime protection against spyware)
    -SpyDefense[from everestlabs](an interesting, new, free antispyware with good realtime protection and scanning.)
    -ULTIMATE TOOL(in my opinion) = HiJackThis [HJT] but it requires you to have knowledge about your system as you are required to manually remove things you find are malicious. it also produces detailed logs that help experts find out whats wrong with your system (if it is infected).this is also free as well.

if i can remember/find anymore i'll edit this post. by the way, there are quite a few lists located on this site that you can find which can help you. here's one of the threads that can help which even shows the people's opinion on a few programs. it's located right here

P.S remember, it is best to operate only a few antispyware programs at the same time (this usually goes for real-time protection, although multiple ones scanning and running at the same time can be dangerous). some may be compatible with others, but others may cause quite a few conflicts, so be careful on what you choose.
    Come to the dark side......WE.....HAVE......trackingCOOKIES!!

Originally posted here by brokencrow
    ...try M$'s AntiSpyware program. It's pretty good actually. Refrain from using Internet Explorer, Outlook and Outlook Express.

actually it isnt all that great considering it no longer finds gator due to the business deals they have with them.
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

There are some useful tools on this site:

http://www.diamondcs.com.au/index.php?page=products

In particular I like RegistryProt

Also: http://www.winpatrol.com

Some general comments: Spyware Blaster integrates with Spybot S & D. It is particularly aimed at activeX threats. It actually runs when required, so does not take up continuous resource, and avoids conflict.

http://javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

EWIDO has a 14 day trial of the full product. After that you can update and run it as an on demand scanner. The difference is the interactive scanning. It has a very large malware base.

I also want to add that I use firefox. Anything you guys can recommend for doing more general system maintenace (sort of like what windoc did on norton 2003 internet securities)?
    \" Love is the sugar that rotts your heart \" ~ Iniquity

BIOS Bomber
    Im guessing you want free ones unlike Norton or any of those so ill just add to the list. Your basicly covered.

Search&Destroy
    Takes care of spyware, adware, malware, trojans, keyloggers, spybots, adbots and trackware.
    Ad-Aware SE
    Scans fixed and removable drives, memory and Windows registry.
    Alright so S&D picks up what AdAware dosn't. Your good there now for free AV.
    ClamWin
    Open Source Virus Scanner and Spyware Detector.
    AntiVirXP
    Well suited for Windows XP, 2000, NT, 98, ME. It detects over 250000 viruses. Includes a resident monitor and a desktop program.

well other people aready helped and its going to add on so your mostly set here good luck and have fun with your new PC.
    "When in doubt, use Brute Force."

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

My general approach would be to:

1. Set history to 0 days
    2. Set browser cache to 0 size
    3. Clear cookies (unless you need them)
    4. Don't save forms data
    5. Don't save passwords
    6. Clear out/disable Java cache

Where you have to use IE, the MS antispyware will remove trace data and junk.

CrapCleaner is another useful tool

Use WinPatrol or Spybot (in "advanced mode") to control cookies, BHOs etc.

...don't forget Ccleaner. It's a cache and temp file cleaner, more thorough than most. Rogue programs and droppers will often settle in temp folders.
    “Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers