Thread: setting up wifi encryption?

setting up wifi encryption?

i've just set up my new wifi router(a linksys WRT54G) to use WPA2 with AES encryption. i've gotten it working fine on my linux box with wpa_supplicant, but for some reason windows won't connect to it. i've had to set it to WPA2 with "TKIP+AES" encryption, so i can connect to it from windows. i've also had to change wpa_supplicant to use TKIP. what i dont understand is what "TKIP+AES" means, does it mean that it's able to use both encryption types depending on what the client needs(this seems to be the case, because if i specify CCMP with wpa_supplicant while the router is set to TKIP+AES encryption, it works). but, what's the point of using AES at all if most of the windows computers are using TKIP?

i've heard that windows is supposed to be able to use wifi with AES encryption, but i have sp2 and all the updates and it gives me an error when i try to connect and the encryption is set to AES.

AES is the type of encryption where TKIP is the way it is implemented IIRC
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

i thought that AES and TKIP were both implementations, that AES used stronger CCMP encryption and TKIP used RC4.

Banned
    Do you have Network Authentication set to WPA-PSK, and Data Encryption to AES (in Windows)?

I have the same router (but apparently older firmware). It's set to WPA Pre-Shared Key, with AES encryption, and it works perfectly fine.

well, i dunno much about setting up a wifi network in windows, but i've been doing it by adding the network to the "preferred networks" thing. i can set it to wpa-psk, but the only algorithm option is TKIP, there is no AES option.

Banned
    If you have SP2, it should come with AES encryption for WPA...

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

You might wanna try to add the network manually, though, instead of adding it to your preferred networks. I don't know why, but it seems to work better :/

well, from all of the windows documentation i can find, you add the network manually by going to something like network places --> wireless lan properties --> wireless tab. this is essentially adding it as a preferred network. getting AES working on windows isn't really the issue for me since i probably wont be able to configure my brother's locked-down school laptop anyway. what i really want to know is: when i set the router to "TKIP+AES" encryption, is it TKIP encrypted or AES encrypted?

This may be a little off the topic of the original post but it does somewhat relate to my problem.

I've recently purchased a Dell Inspiron 600m with an Intel 2200BG wireless card installed. Windows Professional is the OS.

Based upon the discussions I've read here I purchased a LinkSys WRT54GS V4 router to use for the laptop.

Initially I had the encryption set to WAP2 TKIP+AES and set up the laptop to use that connection. It found and connected to the router but I could not access the internet from the laptop. When opening IE it would just lock up.

I connected directly using Ethernet to let Windows Update do what it needed to do so I am up to date with the patches. I did update the wireless card driver for the laptop and the firmware is up to date for the router as well.

As a last resort (to make sure the router wasn’t broken) I set the security to WEP. Setting it with the 128 key option the laptop was able to connect and access the internet without any issues.

I understand WEP is just above the security hierarchy chain as no security at all but it’s all I’ve been able to get working at the moment.

I do have MAC filtering on and only the MAC address for the laptop is listed as being able to access the router. A question I have is by doing the filtering, did I gain anything on the security level given that I am currently using WEP?

Another question is has anyone else been able to resolve this issue between the LinkSys and the wireless card? I’ve been told to get NetGear but don’t know how the quality of it is in comparison to LinkSys.

I’ve seen and tried a few of the options I found but they didn’t work. I wanted to check here before calling Dell because of the various experience people have here and they may know something that Dell wouldn’t recommend.

Thank you for your time
    Wise men talk because they have something to say;
    fools, because they have to say something.
    Plato

Make sure you have the KB893357 update on your system. This is an update to the WPA drivers so that it includes the recently adopted WPA2 specs and allows your laptop to connect with AES, rather than the TKIP. The previous settings were just a stop-gap until the WPA2 standards were adopted. The KB893357 isn't normally in the automatic updates.