Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Motherboard/CPU problem

Blast From the Past
    i take my mobos out of the case when i repalce the fan ... thoes things can be pretty tight on that socket... and when ur bent over a case fighting cords witha flat-blade .... u slip ur screwed.... i took afew chips clean off the mobo when i tried once... it was an older mobo but i was still pissed...

taking the extra steps to ensure safety and prevent fubar results is definitly the way to go

first lets test to see if your motherboard is functional...

get any working cpu fan and plug it into the correct fan port... *CPU 1*

modern BIOS detect fan failures and shut down instantly to prevent overheating... and if its a soyo its a bit touchy with heat anyway...

now if your comp starts to boot up turn it off as soon as possiable.. u are running fanless. but now we know your board is functional....just get a fan that fits and good luck

if you still have a problem reset your bios settings... should be a jumper on your board... read the manual or check online how to do that...

your bios might be reading a different RPM from the fan then before which may tell your bios ur having a fan failur... reseting the bios should help with that

absolute last resort... just take it in and let someone who does it for a living repair it... trust me... us computer novices know alot... but id rather pay 25$ an hour if i wasnt too sure what i was doing... and if they **** it up in the process they usualy replace ur part for you

and if you do take it in dont feel afraid to ask what was wrong and how he/she fixed it... knowledge is power
    work it harder, make it better, do it faster, makes us stronger

Originally posted here by The Duck
    Never in my life have I heard of having to take out the entire motherboard to replace a heatsink and fan...

How did you handle the motherboard? What surfaces did you place it on... etc... How did you handle the CPU? How did you scrub off the old compound?? We need details on how you went about this procedure...

Sounds to me either you messed up the CPU or the motherboard... I am not as optimistic as nihil ... I doubt replacing the fan with another one will help now... I think the damage has been done...
    I touched the motherboard by the sides. I placed it onto an antistatic mat. I wiped off the old compound with isopropyl and a cotton swab as per the instructions on the new silver compound tube. I had read somewhere that Intel chips turn off before they can overheat.
    sorry

Originally posted here by nihil
    Hi,

A lot of manufacturers tell you to attach the processor and cooling unit before inserting the MoBo into the case. That doesn't mean that you have to remove the MoBo subsequently.

Socket 775 units look like this: http://www.pctoys.com/840556058366.html

As can be seen, there are 4 mounting screws/fixtures so it is completely different from a socket 478 unit. From this, I would assume that you were not able to attach and run it.

I do hope that you carefully replaced the little insulating washers when reinserting the MoBo, typically, they are orange in colour. I would also check that there are no lose screws or wires touching the MoBo, that might cause a short.

Also check that the CPU fan is connected to the MoBo correctly, and that any sensor wires are also correctly attached.

It turns on for a couple of seconds, and the keyboard lights flash. That suggests that the BIOS has initiated. Do you get any bleeps?

Check all connections from the PSU, to ensure that they are firmly and correctly attached. Also check that memory and graphics cards are clean and firmly seated.

We really do need some more information

I don't get bleeps, like I said it only stays on for 2 seconds before it shuts off.

Any questions you have about my procedure or whats going on right now and I'll gladly provide the answers.
    sorry

REDDFOX321

Well I'm gonna say that you did everything satisfactory and it's probably not your fault. That's not going to get the thing back up, and since we don't get to look at it, touch it, smell it, etc., we are tossing possibilities your way. So like the rest I have a few as well that are not necessarily under your control.

First of all Main Boards die! Thats right! They are mass produced and the process is most likely automated. That meaning sometimes an iffy board makes its way to us. The same is true about most of the gizmos in the box. As much as we would like to keep them alive forever, we are not in control of thier quality and they are heavy abused especially if we turn them on and off frequently. That surge of power adversely affects the solder on just about every silly pin that is in it's path. It doesn't take an awful lot of switching on and off to literally knock the solder right off the pins. Monitors are especially notorious for this. That is definitely one possibility.

Second the board can become brittle after alot of use and abuse. What was once a fairly simple evolution (i.e. installing a new fan) with controlable risks involved when the board was new; is a completely different critter after the board has been subjected to surges and heat for awhile. It does become brittle. To the extent that even minor bending as we force down the fan clamps, can break the runs thus making it unserviceable. Even one hairline crack that is probably extremely minute is all it takes.

Third and something that can be tested Is the power supply. Without opening up the power supply (we don't want you to look like ready kilo-watt), the voltage from the connectors can be easily tested with a voltmeter. If you don't have one or not sure about it, it is real easy to have someone else do it for almost nothing. If you don't have a drawing, it's easy to find online. Or if you have another known to be good compatable power supply, toss it in the box and see what happens. Make sure the voltage switch on the back of the power supply is set appropriately.

Fourth, if you haven't already done so, look closely at every connector checking every pin to make sure it's not bent or missing.

cheers.
    Connection refused, try again later.

Ok the Motherboard was sitting on Antistatic surface while you were working..right?

Well HAve you bothered to clear/reset the BIOS CMOS..
    I have had mobos get the BIOS corrupted from sitting on the (resistive)-conductive surface for a period of time, even from sitting in the protective pouches..

So on the advice thus far:
    1/ RECHECK ALL YOUR CONNECTIONS
    2/ Reset your BIOS CMOS
    3/ recheck All your connections..you have reconnected the cooling fan plugs correctly?
    4/ retrace your steps .. was there any slip of a screwdriver, flexing of the Mobo, did/does the mobo flex when inserting any of the plugs you've had to seat/check?

regarding the last step..
    - have seem many dead mobo's caused by flexie cases, cheap cases that are as ridged as Jello. or the motherboard is supported over less than 66% of the total area. or one end is totaly unsupported.
    - The question was asked as to why replacing the HSF.. perhaps if there was a problem in the mobo itself and the HSF was a suspect because of ill-informed advice..
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Originally posted here by Und3ertak3r
    Ok the Motherboard was sitting on Antistatic surface while you were working..right?

Well HAve you bothered to clear/reset the BIOS CMOS..
    I have had mobos get the BIOS corrupted from sitting on the (resistive)-conductive surface for a period of time, even from sitting in the protective pouches..

So on the advice thus far:
    1/ RECHECK ALL YOUR CONNECTIONS
    2/ Reset your BIOS CMOS
    3/ recheck All your connections..you have reconnected the cooling fan plugs correctly?
    4/ retrace your steps .. was there any slip of a screwdriver, flexing of the Mobo, did/does the mobo flex when inserting any of the plugs you've had to seat/check?

How do I reset the bios CMOS
    unfortunately my friend bought the computer from Systemax(?) and it came with the minimum documentation about the board etc.

Out of curiosity I unplugged the cords from the power supply to the processor and the computer doesn't shut off. In fact it ran fine except for the fact it didn't start up, no burning smell, no nothing. I turned it off again after about 10 seconds. I then removed the old fan (again) and looked around and on the chip. No burn marks or anything.
    sorry

Two methods:

1. Remove the button cell battery on the motherboard and leave it out for 24 hours. Make sure that the power is not plugged in.

2. There might also be a jumper swich with 4 pins. Move the jumper to the other two pins power up, power down and swap the jumper back.

I reset the bios and it just worked!

thank god, I was so worried. Thanks all!!!
    sorry