Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need suggestion regarding few issues.

Did someone said Pizza :) FanacooL's Avatar

Need suggestion regarding few issues.

I seek your help, sugesstions and guidance for certain issues related with my network.

Network Detail

Let me first give brief info. about my network.

Server X 2

1: Main Server (Running ISA, Mail server, DHCP, DNS and SQL)
    2: NAV server

O.S on main server is Windows 2003 and on 2nd is XP with SP2.

Clients X 75. 70 of them running on XP while 5 have Win98.

My questions are : -

MSN Monitoring

Few of our clients are allowed to use MSN messenger service but strictly they are ordered to use it for offical communication no personal usage is allowed. What i want to know is there a tool available that can monitor there conversation or can make log of them. I know there is bulitin feature but they know how to disable it so i wanted a better solution.

Another issue relating with MSN is that i also wanted to monitor are there any unauthorized users using MSN messenger.

Remote installation on Clients

Do you know any good tool via i could remotely able to install softwares in the clients. I can access them via remote desktop connection but it log off the current user.

Remote Monitoring

Lastly i wanted to monitor the clients activities, any suggestion for this.

Any other helpful tool that you people are using for managing networks, have to be free of cost
    One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man!

well i'm guessing you're looking for basically legitimate keyloggers, spyware, etc. for monitoring people's uses. well i don't have much experience in this, but the best thing to do is to probably get some software that can set passwords on options or software [some software has that included in allowing access to set up their options] (i also believe symantec has something like that called the password manager but i'm not exactly sure what that does).

general idea for setting up msn messenger
    once you have put that software on the client computers you want to monitor, adjust the settings for msn messenger so that it records all of the chat history and saves them maybe in a network folder only you have access to, then lock out the option controls so that they can only be accessed with the password you set.

general idea for remote installation on clients
    hmm i believe there is some free software out there that can do this if its connected in a network ( i think its illegal though and regarded as hacking software) and i dont recall its name, although i've seen it being put to use.

general idea for remote monitoring
    probably the easiest thing to do is get a legitimate, good keylogger...i believe one was posted a while ago on antionline here: http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=272976

that one seems quite good in my opinion since it keeps such detailed logs on a lot of stuff, such as:

1. What was the Computer Named that Entered the Keystrokes?
    2. What was the Domain Name of the Domain the computer was on?
    3. What was the User name on the computer that entered the keys?
    4. What date were those keystrokes entered?
    5. What time were those keystrokes entered?
    6. What application did the keystrokes come from?
    7. What was the Window Title of where the Keystrokes came from?
    8. What was the Windows Class of the program that handled the keys?
    9. Can more than ONE copy be accidentally started?
    10. What Hot-Key Can stop the program?
    although adding in such a keylogger could involve conflicts with firewalls and antiviruses, so i advise you to select the ignore feature on their detection for this and lock out their settings with passwords (almost all security software has that option for accessing its settings)

well i hope this helps, a lot of stuff i've generalized a bit however and i'l see if i can find anymore information if i can.
    Come to the dark side......WE.....HAVE......trackingCOOKIES!!

Do you know any good tool via i could remotely able to install softwares in the clients. I can access them via remote desktop connection but it log off the current user.
    Are you sure that this is a good idea? I would not want to attempt software installation on a machine that was being used by someone to do something else. There is far to much potential for conflicts, crashes and the like. And if you can do it , so can malware?

OK, security type software is designed to do an interactive update in many cases but ordinary software generally is not. It wants a dedicated machine. I am generally reluctant to recommend anything that saves time in one area and creates ten times the work somewhere else. I try not to create helpdesk calls where posssible

Also, I would warn you that there is not much free stuff for managing commercial networks. Other people like to eat as well and you do need to consider support requirements. It might be an idea to sound out what kind of a budget you can have?

And 5 Windows 98 boxes on your network?......................I would put that security issue at the top of my list

Nihil as far as that Win98 clients, well there is an internal software running on these computers and that can only be run on win98.

I won't mind paying a little for a good tool:-)

All i need is monitoring and control on my network clients so that if the devil in them tries to misguide them i am there to stop them.

The only reason i am using remote desktop connection is to make my life easy, as i have to rectify user-end problems so i can logged into my system remotely and can check my emails and other queries (keeping in mind that i only spend around 45% of my time infront of my PC).

Nihil what about that messenger issue isn't there a way i can achieve this.

Corrupted_code you are suggesting key logger hmhm not what i am looking for...... The main thing is i wanted to know on what application they are currently working? Outlook or our software stuff like that.
    One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man!

well i do agree that keylogger is a relatively aggressive method of monitoring, but it is in my opinion a rather decent way to gather information about the user if you cannot find an alternative. (by the way it does include logs that show which application the key strokes came from). if i find anything i'll keep you posted..it's just i normally don't deal with stuff like this as much. oh and nihil has made some very good points as well :P although im not sure if there are any paid versions of software doing this kind of task for legitimate reasons, but i guess its the software shops that know
    Come to the dark side......WE.....HAVE......trackingCOOKIES!!

I am using GFI Web Monitor and was going through the log and i came across this URL config.messenger.msn.com, few of my clients access this among them i am also included as i am authorized to use :-), anyways my new query is that is this a URL Msn messenger access when you use it? If thats the case then i think i have found the solution to one of my MSN problem.

The only reason i am looking for remote installation on clients is that sometime i need to put a file in there folders so it take too much time to go there and retrieve file manually its better i can do it from one sitting. For instance yesterday i have to change the parent server for all the NAV clients and have to put the GRC.dat file it took me whole day to do this.

So i am looking for convienence and technology is mend to be for this.

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    Answers:

What i want to know is there a tool available that can monitor there conversation or can make log of them.
    Download Ethereal and place it at your network chokepoint. A little known fact about ethereal is that it comes with a MSN chat parser so once you collect all your data, you can parse out all the MSN conversations in a nicely formatted file with usernames, conversations, etc.

Be more specific. What kind of apps? If you want to simply patch systems, use Windows Udate Service, which is a free patch management solution from MS.

Otherwise, you'll need a solution like SMS which does cost a considerable amount of money.

Lastly i wanted to monitor the clients activities, any suggestion for this.
    Again, be more specific. There are many free tools that do a few things well. A great commercial solution for monitoring is Websense.

If you want to get security info on your network and you have to keep it open source, check out http://www.ossim.net/

It takes feeds from Snort and other network devices to provide you with realtime views of your network and what's happening to it.

--TH13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

As i mentioned installing applications could be installing a sofwtare, not just installing i need to put files in there directories as i mentioned eariler.

As far as activities are concerned i mean monitoring of what they are doing? a list of application of softwares currently they are running, things like that.

thehorse13 is correct about Ethereal. It's about the best way to monitor chat sessions without spending big bucks.

Also, check out http://www.dameware.com/

I've used this in the past, neat little tool.
    09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0

AOs Resident Troll
    Nihil as far as that Win98 clients, well there is an internal software running on these computers and that can only be run on win98.
    Have you tried running this software on XP.....

I have a few older databases and have been able to run using the compatiblity mode function...Printing is slow...but everything else works

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer